Great white sighted off Palm Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416:
...and here I thought that killer whales and giant octupi could get larger... silly me... :)
I heard that Ole Doc Pepper was so big and fearsome, they sank a "memorial" to him up in your neck of the woods...

Guys, consider the source.. I heard all about this the day it happened.. That dang shark just keeps growing the more I hear the story. My guess (after consulting with the Scientist hottie on the boat today) it was more likely a Maco. They are out there around the Hole in the Wall frequently. For someone viewing them from a distant, I can certainly see how they could mistake the ID. I'm not saying it really wasn't a White shark, but 17 feet....Pleeeease

baitedstorm:
Guys, consider the source.. I heard all about this the day it happened.. That dang shark just keeps growing the more I hear the story. My guess (after consulting with the Scientist hottie on the boat today) it was more likely a Maco. They are out there around the Hole in the Wall frequently. For someone viewing them from a distant, I can certainly see how they could mistake the ID. I'm not saying it really wasn't a White shark, but 17 feet....Pleeeease

if it wasnt a white shark then it was a maco. but cmon mako sharks dont grow that big?

Spoon:
if it wasnt a white shark then it was a maco. but cmon mako sharks dont grow that big?

well, maybe it was the mako that live over by the power plant :laughing: it could happen.....right....

likelite:
:wink:
The part I have trouble with is a 6-foot tailfin. How would a 15-foot shark swim with a tailfin half as large as its body length...?

6 ft. is 40% of 15 ft.

Do you think 40% tail length is too short or too long?

The tail length and body length of Thresher are about equal.

By the way, I agree that sharks are Underwater Treasures and so could be considered suitable for this forum.

Mako and thresher steaks are especially delicious.
These two are also a valuable commodity. While fishing for tuna, I occasionally hooked them. Fish buyers pay a good price for them, as they can be marketed as swordfish. Shark varieties vary greatly in edibility and marketability.

Anyway, there is a forum entitled "Shark Forum" if you don't know already.

Max 20 feet long? Largest predator in the ocean? Let's do some research before posting. :)

Hmmm... "great white?" Are you sure it wasn't some Yankee office dweller down there on vacation?

Have certainly seen great whites over 17' in the water. And tiger sharks about 22' long. I won't mention the color of my underwear afterwards!

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Hmmm... "great white?" Are you sure it wasn't some Yankee office dweller down there on vacation?

Have certainly seen great whites over 17' in the water. And tiger sharks about 22' long. I won't mention the color of my underwear afterwards!

Dr. Bill
sooo Dr Bill................. just how big :D have you seen them????

Back
Top Bottom