Greece 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprus you maybe ok for nov/dec diving but Crete and the rest of Greece forget it.

Its seasonal with most places open from May 1st > mid October at the latest.

I worked in Greece last summer and working there again this summer (Coincidentally, Crete).

Diving in Greece isnt fantastic. Although theyve changed the previous VERY restrictive law everywhere has been very slow adopting the new regulations legalising new sites, wrecks and so on. Some places havent bothered at all.
Visibility is excellent, 30-50m but a lot of it is like the surface of the moon, barren rock.

Cyprus has the Zenobia wreck and a few other not very great sites to choose from but is more of an all year round island and a few places maybe open that time of year.

String:
Cyprus has the Zenobia wreck and a few other not very great sites to choose from but is more of an all year round island and a few places maybe open that time of year.

Yes, we are now set up to dive the Zenobia, if all goes well. I am very thankful and excited!

Natasha:
Wow great link and great video. Thank you so much.

I’m glad you find it useful. Have fun.

rakkis:
That was tongue-in-cheek. I meant the cruise boat that sunk that friday :)
I know the one you mean, the one where the two French tourists lost their lives :icosm10: It's now lieing in 150mtrs of water on a slope with a lot of currents that will eventually cause it to slide to the bottom 300mtr+. I wouldn't advise diving near there with all the fuel oil leaking still.

String:
Cyprus you maybe ok for nov/dec diving but Crete and the rest of Greece forget it.

Its seasonal with most places open from May 1st > mid October at the latest.

I worked in Greece last summer and working there again this summer (Coincidentally, Crete).

Diving in Greece isnt fantastic. Although theyve changed the previous VERY restrictive law everywhere has been very slow adopting the new regulations legalising new sites, wrecks and so on. Some places havent bothered at all.
Visibility is excellent, 30-50m but a lot of it is like the surface of the moon, barren rock.

Not quite correct there are dive shops open all year round in Crete, Plakias, Ag. Nikolaus, Ierapetra to name a few..............As to the comment about legalising new sites.........there is nothing to legalize it's ALL open EXCEPT the 70 Archeological closed areas that were closed before. The rest is free to dive with or without the use of a dive center. The only restriction still in force is that to dive at night a DC must be used! If your certification agency has been recognized by the EUF and thereby is also recognized by the Greek State there is nothing to stop you from diving on your own* (* obviously with a buddy). The thing is with Greece is the mentality of the shop owners and this will not change over night. They were used to making their money from pool demo's and DSD's. It's time to realise that Greece has so much more to offer and is in fact, or could become, the epi-center of diving in Europe.
Anybody wanting more info can pm or mail me, As an expat living here for nearly 25 yrs I know the diving scene quite well...........
ArGo

Hi, my experience Greece is great - but Kairo!!! My experience was not so great.
Been to a liveaboard as an instructor and stayed in Kairo for a few days -
a few things you should now prior to your trip: dont expect too much - the pyramids look much better on the photos then real life! and of the pyramids you can just visit a very small part of it!
Whatever you do do not go tho the animal market in Kairo - we ended there by accident and with a local divebase owner and it was an experience I would not like do livethrough every again. So bad I dont even want to write about.

Ever thought diving in Croatia? If so contact me

Safe traveling

The "all open" law is all very well but it definitely hasn't filtered down to local level and in particular the local coastguards who from personal experience seem to still try to enforce the status quo regardless of the actual law.
Also a lot if not most dive centre owners are very reluctant to make the effort to go out, find new sites and start diving them.

Lets just say myself and 2 others were far from popular when we decided to do a nightdive at one point last september. Took 2 full days to sort out paperwork and shifting between various agencies to clear up.
I know of other operators trying to dive in "unapproved" areas being turned away, fined or threatened with fine. At a local level it seems nothing much has changed on the islands.

Back
Top Bottom