Green moray bites diver's thumb OFF!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you molest marine life with teeth then don't be upset if it fights back. Same goes for spearfishing.

Can't see what this thread has to do with the late steve irwin though who most definitely wasnt an imbecile like the guy here.

Oh jesus christ, some of you need to lighten up. It was a joke and should be taken as such. Its not like I was making a statement about what he (Steve Irwin) accomplished in his life or what type of person he was. He was simply the first person that came to my mind when I thought of human/animal encounters resulting in bodily injury. Face it...if you examine the same criteria yourself his name will be on the top of your imagined list too.
Seriously...chill out, it will be good for ya'

I just wonder what the OP has done with his life to make the planet a better place, that he feels qualified and superior to make comment on Steve Irwin?

Bloody hell, an Ozzie defending Steve Irwin. :shocked2: Every Ozzie I seem to come across seems to want to **** on the guy so quickly I thought there must be a tax break in Australia for doing so...

Agree with the subsequent "lighten up" comment, though. Tragic though his death was, the late Mr Irwin was pretty well reknown for his vigorous interaction with various kinds of wildlife, especially dangerous ones. Supremely ironic that a man who spent so much time ****ing off dangerous creatures by grabbing them should end up dying due to a freak accident involving an animal that is not considered to be a threat.

years old ..... argh!

leave the dead alone unless you are learning something (dont feed wild animals)

Or~ don't hump the stingrays.

"eel mistakes his thumb for food...."

I don't think there was any kind of mistake. His thumb WAS food.

I knew a female diver who was feeding fish at a famous australian site on the barrier reef. It had 2 large morays on it and one of them bit her in the throat. She grabbed it and squeezed it but it wouldnt let go. She returned to the surface with the moray attached to her throat and after she broke surface it let go. Her head blew up like a soccer ball and she was on anti biotics for a long time. The Moray was moved to another site away from divers but unfortunately it died.

The moral is dont feed wild animals. It is also not true as Kevin suggests above "actually most underwater animal attacks are because the animal is defending itself from what it believes is a threat. They do not just attack you for no reason what so ever." I have seen 4 people bitten underwater whilst feeding fish and none of them were in a situation where the fish were under threat, they just get carried away and bite things. To further illustrate the point a dive buddy of mine was attacked by a Woggegong (floor) shark about 2m long as it moved from one position to another and actually went out of its way to attack him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom