Greetings from Brooklyn, NY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carmofon

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I used to dive a lot (CMAS certified) but I have been doing it less and less since I moved to NYC (about 10 years ago!). Now I want to come back to the waters but I am most interested in freediving and spearfishing. Anyone doing these activities around here? I would love to contact and get recommendations from you!

My plan was to start around Rockaway and Manhattan Beach and perhaps Jamaica Bay. Any advice on which regions to avoid? (because of strong currents, excessive contamination, etc). Or which places are good it would be greatly appreciated. I know this is not the best time of the year to take a dip but it's never too early to learn! :)

Thank you all!

My brother use to spearfish around Great Captain Island on the NY/CT line in L.I. Sound. He got Blackfish. Not sure what's there now --- if anything-- that was like 1970.

Balls! The thought freaks me out.

Hello everyone!

I used to dive a lot (CMAS certified) but I have been doing it less and less since I moved to NYC (about 10 years ago!). Now I want to come back to the waters but I am most interested in freediving and spearfishing. Anyone doing these activities around here? I would love to contact and get recommendations from you!

My plan was to start around Rockaway and Manhattan Beach and perhaps Jamaica Bay. Any advice on which regions to avoid? (because of strong currents, excessive contamination, etc). Or which places are good it would be greatly appreciated. I know this is not the best time of the year to take a dip but it's never too early to learn! :)

Thank you all!
Hi and welcome to NYC diving! 😂
I'v also picked up diving again recently. Doing RD training and few other specialties. Have done a couple of dives at Rockaway Beach (8th Street) and plan to do that regularly just to stay in shape and get better.

Join the New York Sea Gypsies. Go to a few meetings. You’ll get all the advice you need.

My plan was to start around Rockaway and Manhattan Beach and perhaps Jamaica Bay.
Just for fun, get a copy of "Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY" David Rosenthal The Wharves Project. Most enjoyable and informative read.

Hi and welcome to NYC diving! 😂
I'v also picked up diving again recently. Doing RD training and few other specialties. Have done a couple of dives at Rockaway Beach (8th Street) and plan to do that regularly just to stay in shape and get better.
Do you still park free in that circular loop kind of place right at the shore entry area?

Rockaway Beach, 8th St., was where I did my first beach dive in 1983, working on my PADI, cert. I guess it is still a good spot to dive and definitely shallow enough for beginner free diving. Hopefully its as fishy and clean there, as it was in 1983!

Rockaway Beach, 8th St., was where I did my first beach dive in 1983, working on my PADI, cert. I guess it is still a good spot to dive and definitely shallow enough for beginner free diving. Hopefully its as fishy and clean there, as it was in 1983!
I was there in 2010. Clean enough I guess. Depends on what you're comparing it to.

Back
Top Bottom