Greetings from sunny Scotland (and beyond!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMarineBiologist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I am a marine biologist and (finally!) a diver (PADI AOW)

I learned to dive in Sharm El Sheikh with Umbi Diving Village (highly recommend, they were absolutely wonderful and so relaxed!) this year in March. I am on my drysuit diving course at the beginning of May so I can dive in our rather chilly waters, but I am heading back to Sharm in October for a two week stint including a liveaboard experience. See you there?
Next year I am heading to Mexico for a marine expedition and conservation with a divemaster internship. Wish me luck, see you in the water!

Theo

Hi Theo,

If you want to dive year round join one of the BSAC clubs in Scotland.

I’m the Diving Officer for Fyne divers SAC, your PADI qualification is recognised by us.

Edward
Hi Edward,

I would but my new job is taking me all around the coast so I won't be in one place for more than a week or so!

Thanks though,

Theo

Hi Edward,

I would but my new job is taking me all around the coast so I won't be in one place for more than a week or so!

Thanks though,

Theo
One of our members is part of the Antarctic Research group, she spends half the year on the ice.

She's a member because
  • we are a nice bunch of people
  • we go to the pub
Mainly, because we organise diving. She can sign up to club trips, like the Red Sea this Autumn, Penzance in a June, St Abb's (Scotland) in May, Plymouth in September. In addition, diver training is free, so she has done her DL with us.

The main benefit with being part of a club is, the training, the organised trips, and the ease of finding a buddy for a quick (unscheduled) dive.

One of our members is part of the Antarctic Research group, she spends half the year on the ice.

She's a member because
  • we are a nice bunch of people
  • we go to the pub
Mainly, because we organise diving. She can sign up to club trips, like the Red Sea this Autumn, Penzance in a June, St Abb's (Scotland) in May, Plymouth in September. In addition, diver training is free, so she has done her DL with us.

The main benefit with being part of a club is, the training, the organised trips, and the ease of finding a buddy for a quick (unscheduled) dive.
That's great, what a job!
That's fair enough, but as I said I won't be in any single place for more than a week whereas she would spend half the year away and the other in Antarctica, so being tied to a location isn't going to work for me on that basis. One of my shipmates is a diver too so we will be diving as we go anyway.
Thanks, Gareth,
Theo

I realize it may vary widely, but what sort of subject matter or research tends to be your focus, or the focus of your diving, given that as a traveling marine biologist I imagine a lot of your diving will be work-related?

We get occasional posts on the forum from youngsters considering pursuing the path of marine biology. Real world examples may be helpful.

I realize it may vary widely, but what sort of subject matter or research tends to be your focus, or the focus of your diving, given that as a traveling marine biologist I imagine a lot of your diving will be work-related?

We get occasional posts on the forum from youngsters considering pursuing the path of marine biology. Real world examples may be helpful.
So at the moment, seabed surveying using transects (and ROVs too, not just diving), SAFCOR surveying (semi-qualitative), and then next year I'm off to do coral reef restoration, nursery care, amongst other things which will involve the use of AGRRA surveys which I have done before with snorkelling.

This is just me though. The best advice I can give is to master your buoyancy. You will be in one spot for extended periods of time while surveying, and especially if you're looking for cryptic species, the worst thing you can do is be flapping about in the water column. Plus, you use less air with good buoyancy too which means you get to spend more time looking at your subjects and gathering data.

My colleagues are in seagrass restoration, flapper skate conservation, university academics, wider ocean conservation, shark education, and so on.

I'm 29 this year and the reason I only just learned to dive is due to my background. I come from a working-class family and was never able to afford these opportunities before, so be advised that if you are a student, spend less time drinking and more time saving your money - though I rarely went on a night out I scraped by and survived. Get involved with anything you can, talk to your lecturers about assisting and so on! Hope this is helpful!

Hi Theo,

BSAC Direct could be useful. Gives you 3rd Party Liability cover and would make it easier for BSAC Branches around the U.K. to offer you dive trips. As a non-member you might have to provide your own 3rd Party Insurance, I don’t believe DAN provides this cover. Medical, including chamber costs, are covered by your local NHS provider.

Edward

Hi Theo,

BSAC Direct could be useful. Gives you 3rd Party Liability cover and would make it easier for BSAC Branches around the U.K. to offer you dive trips. As a non-member you might have to provide your own 3rd Party Insurance, I don’t believe DAN provides this cover. Medical, including chamber costs, are covered by your local NHS provider.

Edward
Hi Edward,

I just joined the closest one to my home base anyway in case I happen to be free and at home during a dive time with them :)

Theo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom