Question grommets material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dmaziuk

dmaziuk

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to punch a few holes in wife's BCD to attach trim weight pouches (camband is not an option because She Said So). The best I can find for grommets is Stimpson 304 stainless. Anybody knows how well they fare in salt water? And/or can suggest a better option? -- 316 seems to be obtainable but only in China (if you trust their grades), alumin(i)um ones exist and would probably do, and I'm not sure I want brass ones for this.

TIA

Stainless can be difficult to install with a punch, due to hardness and splitting
I mostly use brass as it is a beautiful thing then some indellible marker on top

Stainless can be difficult to install with a punch, due to hardness and splitting
I mostly use brass as it is a beautiful thing then some indellible marker on top

Thanks, brass it is. I ended up using "kydex sheath" eyelets with regular backing washers, as the thing's too thick for the regular grommets.

Another option is to melt-seal the holes in the material/webbing and bolt it together tightly using bonded EPDM/stainless washers. The EPDM does a good job of distributing the load away from the hole itself.

Back
Top Bottom