Growths on turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told that when turtles were removed from the area and taken to the northern island chain that the tumors went away on their own - can anyone corroborate this?

Like Doug I noticed over the past 15 years (mostly snorkeling) that the turtles seem to be doing better in the Lahaina areas - used to be every turtle I came across was covered in them, but over the last 5 years, since taking up scuba, in the Lahaina area the number of infected turtles I came across has decreased and this past year it became much more common to see tumor free turtles than infected. I always wondered if it had some correlation to the decline in agriculture in the Lahaina area (less pesticide runoff, etc..) just one persons observation ... so it's very limited in scope.

Lots of unknowns, but it's definitely sad to see an infected turtle.

btw - I also read that the infection turtles in Hawaii get it is not possible to surgically remove the tumors, whereas in other parts of the world it is possible... makes it sound like a different virus/culprit.

Aloha, Tim

I was told that when turtles were removed from the area and taken to the northern island chain that the tumors went away on their own - can anyone corroborate this?

Considering that over 90% of the breeding females in the State return to the NW Hawaiian Islands to nest, I'd say the turtles went away on their own, taking the growths with them. :wink:

I have participated in both capturing and releasing of green sea turtles on the North Shore of Oahu. Deep Ecology has worked closely with George Balazs, who is NOAA's turtle guy in Hawaii. Every release I've ever heard of is back to the place of capture.

Like Doug I noticed over the past 15 years (mostly snorkeling) that the turtles seem to be doing better in the Lahaina areas - used to be every turtle I came across was covered in them, but over the last 5 years, since taking up scuba, in the Lahaina area the number of infected turtles I came across has decreased and this past year it became much more common to see tumor free turtles than infected. I always wondered if it had some correlation to the decline in agriculture in the Lahaina area (less pesticide runoff, etc..) just one persons observation ... so it's very limited in scope.

One of the research papers George published recently talks about the successful recovery of the population as a reason there seem to be less turtles with growths; new turtles coming into the Honokowai study area don't have the growths (yet). Unless the turtle with growth dies or has surgery, it probably still has growth. Full size adults with growths seem to reach a stage where the growths get smaller. Young turtles with growths seem to have less resistance and probably die in 3-5 years, FWIU.

The Turtle Hospital:
The disease has been documented as far back as the 1900's and has reappeared and regressed throughout the century. The growths appear on sea turtles in warm water areas, especially around the equator, from Florida and South America to Hawaii with a few cases reported from Australia. Primarily found on Green sea turtles the disease since the 1980's has now been found on all species of sea turtles. In Florida the majority of sea turtles effected has been juvenile Green sea turtles although adult Greens, Loggerheads and Hawksbills have been found with fibropapilloma.

btw - I also read that the infection turtles in Hawaii get it is not possible to surgically remove the tumors, whereas in other parts of the world it is possible... makes it sound like a different virus/culprit.

The Turtle Hospital:
When a turtle with fibropapilloma comes into The Turtle Hospital it undergoes a certain protocol. Initially as with every turtle that comes into the hospital a stranding report is made, photos are taken, the turtle is then cleaned, weighed, radiographed and blood is taken. The radiographs are extremely important because they can sometimes show if a turtle has internal fibropapillomas. Many times the internal growths or tumors are too small to show on a radiograph so each turtle is given a mild sedative and endoscoped to double check for internal tumors. If the turtle has internal tumors it must be euthanized because so far there is no cure for the internal tumors and it will kill the turtle.

If the turtle's endoscopy does not show internal tumors the turtle can then be scheduled for surgery. In many cases the turtle is too weak and anemic to undergo an anesthetic surgery so it will be scheduled for surgery after the blood work shows the turtle is strong enough. Before the surgery the turtle is anesthetized so it will not feel anything during surgery. The turtle then must be "bagged" every thirty seconds throughout the surgery because once it is anesthetized the turtle stops breathing on its own. The surgery is performed with a CO2 laser which cuts the skin without touching the turtle and cauterizes as it goes so there is very little bleeding. Turtles recover and heal very quickly from laser surgery, in most cases there is no scarring at all. After the surgery the turtle is then kept in the hospital overnight to ensure it has completely recovered from the anesthetic before being put back in its tank.

Throughout the years The Turtle Hospital has found that the only way to keep the growths or tumors from growing is to surgically remove them, then if the turtle can remain tumor free for one year it can be released back to the wild. The turtles are checked throughout their one year stay and if they show any regrowth the tumor is taken off and their year starts all over again.

The Turtle Hospital is located in Florida, but I have never heard that the growths are different here with regards to surgery.

There have been informative turtle threads this year here on SB; sometimes an SB search makes you sound smarter. :D

Edit/addition: Here is the thread I was thinking about;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-science-physiology/264202-dont-touch-turtles.html

which includes a link to this Honolulu Advertiser 2004 article.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom