GUADALUPE MAY BE CLOSED PERMANENTLY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a white shark population living above Point Conception but not a easy sell for the rich white tourist and Hollywood . Launch my 1/4 inch thick workskiff from Gaviota pier and could be there in a heartbeat but first need to become a active diver again . Be good safe and kind. Rumdumb

As you may know, Isla Guadalupe, home to an incredible population of Great White Sharks, was closed to diving this past season (July-November). Now there's talk of keeping it permanently closed. Aside from the financial implications for dive boats that run trips there, there's a major concern that this will harm, not help, the sharks. The reason is that the Mexican government generally doesn't have the resources to patrol the island to prevent illegal fishing. (Guadalupe is 150 miles west of Baja.) But by having numerous commercial dive boats at the island regularly, it acts as a de facto deterrent to anyone who would try to plunder the waters because the dive boats can literally call in the Coast Guard. So the future is unclear. I've been in touch with Mike Lever, owner of Nautilus Dive Adventures, who is trying to organize others to keep the island open and accessible. We've done four trips to Guadalupe with Mike & Nautilus and the experience has been unique to say the least. To close Guadalupe permanently would be a terrible loss on many levels.
on a economical standing perspective i don't know how much money the dive charter help mexican economy. Maybe the mexican Govt just don't see it the way we do from a leaisure point of view.

on a economical standing perspective i don't know how much money the dive charter help mexican economy. Maybe the mexican Govt just don't see it the way we do from a leaisure point of view.
They prob make more on the camera tax scam than they do on the charters and pre/post-departure tourism.. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom