Guam/Yap/Palau - When What Who?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great pointers. I'm copying all this into my PDA.

What is that airpass you're talking about? Some kind of a shuttle flight? Please do give me more details when you have time.

I also got a quote for the flights: Guam-Yap-Koror-Guam is USD805 on Continental Micronesia. Does this seem reasonable?

I'm now looking at traveling in March, most probably the first three weeks of the month. Let me know if you'll be in the area during that period, maybe we can go manta-hunting together :)

Thanks again Scuba Jim!

Hi Neve

The airpass uses the same flights but makes it a little better value for money. Guam to Yap & Palau sholuld be less than $800 on the airpass.

I have the paperwork somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it at the moment! (Typical, my office is always a mess!) The airpass does not come up on a booking system if you punch in the required flights. It is best done through a CO res office - get your travel agent to contact CO in Bali or MNL if there is not an office in Singapore.

If I find the airpass info I will let you know.

Regards
Jim

I can recomend Palau diving with Fish 'n fins. Steer well clear of the cattle boats operating from the PPR. Fish n fins do a boat pick up every morning from the resort anyway. Small, fast boats with small groups of divers! :)

While in Yap, don't just concentrate on the murky manta sites. The outer reef is excellent and relatively infrequently dived. Great food at Manta Ray Bay, but Yap is the most expensive place to dive I've yet come across. Our bar bill was a little on the interesting side to!

Don't miss out on Truk its fantastic. As Jim said, I'd give Guam a miss as well...

If you are in Guam, dive through MDA (Micronesia Divers Association). They have the cheapest dives on the island and everyone there seems really nice. Their dive boats are awesome. I think they have two or actually maybe even three. They have dives everyday and special dives on the weekend and night dives during the week. I just went to their 20th anniversary a few months back and they gave out free dives, underwater cameras, and even a $2200 live aboard Palau Aggressor trip! It was awesome. Check them out.=-)

A few reflections on the trio you are interested in:

Guam: worth a couple of days of diving, but steer clear of MDA and GTDS because they tend to run cattle boats. (There are some great shore dives there, but you really need a local to show you the ropes. If you can find it, Gun Beach is really a very nice shore dive.) Now, back to boat dives. The Blue Hole is not much of a dive, in my opinion; if the DM will let you roam around the top of the hole whilst everyone else scoots through it, you might see more then the rest of the group. That said, if you do macro photography and take your time ascending the Blue Hole, you might just get some fine photos! The harbor wrecks, the Tokai Maru and the Cormoran, are okay dives if the viz is not too bad. However, it is usually fairly poor. Scoot on over to Rock's Reef or Western Shoals and you will likely see one of the prettiest schools of Batfish around. I think there is a "tourist" sub that uses that area and feeds the fish, hence they tend to stick around!

Yap: the diving here is not as good as on Palua, however, what you come for are the Mantas! A warning, though, 75% of the time they either do not show up or the vis is atrocious! I would not spend more than 2-3 days there and pray for mantas. The Manta Ray Bay Hotel is the most convenient place to stay and Bill Munn, the Chef, runs a fantastic restaurant! Be sure to have some of the local, small bananas with breakfast: they are a real treat. But, that said, I will tell you that we ate at the all three of the "Big Three" hotels on Yap and had meals that were superb--I mean SUPERB!

Palua: this is the place to go. Because I have been to all three sites, perhaps, I feel no need to return to the other two. So, if you decide to spend 2 weeks on Palau, you will not be sorry: it is probably the premier dive spot in Micronesia. The Blue Corner is definitely the place to dive, dive, dive! Most DM's will take you there let you hook on with a reef hook and stick around for 5-10 minutes. After you have done that once, I suggest doing the Corner again and just stay there: it simply does not get much better. I am fairly pushy and "insist" on lots of trips to the Corner: going there three times in a week would not be too much! No way!

Big Dropoff and Ngemelis Wall are also absolutely wonderful sites. A drift dive along the Wall will reveal such an abundance of sealife that you will not want to return to the boat! Not to be missed!

Each of the dive shops on Palua has a distinct personality. I am hesitant to recommend one because each one can rub a given diver the wrong way. Sam's has a reputation for haughty DM's (mostly American DM's) that look down their noses at most divers. NECO Marine's DM's tend to be somewhat young and their lack of experience can be a pain. Fish'N'Fins has a its own "problems" according to some folks. So, I would just pick one and be laid back and enjoy the experience.

I guess I have to say the PPR, Palau Pacific Resort, is the place to stay. It may be somewhat pricey, but the accomdations are excellent. Also, if you are an U/W photographer, the photo shop there, Splash, is great! They do E6 processing and usually get your slides back the next day. They used to do color prints (or have them sent out) and that service was great, too. I am not certain that they still do that.

A word about Truk: be sure to get there someday (soon). The facility is deteriorating and I am not certain how long it will last. The latest typhoon did not help in that regard. Every year the resort goes downhill just a little more and I do not see an end in sight for the deterioration. But the diving is pure joy. Of all the night dives in the Western Pacific to do, diving one of the wrecks in the Lagoon at night is my choice! The soft coral is resplendant and the sealife is teeming! You just gotta go to Truk one of these days(Did I mention soon?)! Oh, yes, the Blue Lagoon is the place to stay, in my opinion. The Truk Stop, even at its best, does not compare. However, remember my words of warning: the resort is on the downhill road!

Scorpionfish, Only Its Mother Could Love That Face!

Drop Guam, insert Chuuk. The diving there blows Guam away IMHO. You don't have to be into wreck diving to enjoy Chuuk. The soft coral & sealife on and around the wrecks is amazing. Best shark dive i've ever done also!

In my opinion the liveaboards yield the best bang for your buck in Palau & Chuuk. Up to five dives a day with no long boat rides.

We are considering dropping Palau next time out that way, spending 3-4 days in Yap and 2 weeks in Chuuk aboard the "Odyssey". I don't think it's possible to get bored with the diving in Truk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom