GUE, DIR, and Philosophy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
...to date if you are DIR. I have the damndest time and have been through two girls lately who were great but just insisted on not diving DIR. I'll just have to keep looking and trying my best to be an uberdick on all the dive trips I can go on.

They didn't like the long hose, eh?

:)

They didn't like the long hose, eh?

Yeah, I wish that was the problem :wink:

They didn't like my insistence on bedroom standards, training (LOTS OF IT), undergarment standardization, and doing drills everywhere we went. The "S" in S-drill doesn't always stand for safety...:tease:

O-ring once bubbled...
The point is, if I show up for said shallow reef dive in my doubles and 7' hose and you show up in your jacket BC, dragging octo, and AL80, we are not an effective buddy team. If I agree to standardize to your standard, then we are golden...likewise if you adopt my system

Why does dive planning have to entail standardizing gear? Just because I've got one rig, and you've got another, what is the true need for standardization?

In pre-dive planning, you tell me where your donatable second stage is, I tell you where mine is. You show me where you keep your pressure guage, I show you mine... you explain your weight system, I explain mine, etc, etc, etc.... Where is the requirement to standardize on one gear configuration to be an effective buddy team?

There are some divers that with an open mind have considered the alternatives and have settled on DIR as a diving philosophy. They are generally willing to logically explain why they feel this approach is superior, and let others come to they same conclusion (or not) on their own. They are willing to do so because they have confidence based on experience and know their approach works. I respect those divers and have learned from several on this board.

At the other extreme, there are a few divers that sometimes prior to even completing any DIR training, quote the DIR book as if it were Holy Scripture. I guess they are looking for a shortcut to be “in the know.” They tend to be the ones that respond emotionally to any statement that is in any way derogatory to DIR, which to me anyway, is very annoying. Many of their responses sound like they’re attempting to convince themselves.

I started diving in April but despite the little experience I have, I feel confident in saying there is no substitute for experience. There is no book written that in its self will make you a good diver. I have a problem in principle with an approach that insists there is only one right way. Doing it the Best Way Possible (DITBWP) is my goal. The other philosophical problem I have with DIR is the all or nothing approach. This is just not realistic in terms of time or money.

I am immensely enjoying the journey from knowing nothing and being totally dependant on my LDS for equipment configuration, to hopefully someday being a knowledgeable experienced diver that in turn can help others to learn to enjoy the sport. Trying new equipment and new configurations is part of the fun of diving.

Mike

Right...
Ok...
stand by.... humor switch now on!
Rick

Spectre once bubbled...

Why does dive planning have to entail standardizing gear? Just because I've got one rig, and you've got another, what is the true need for standardization?

In pre-dive planning, you tell me where your donatable second stage is, I tell you where mine is. You show me where you keep your pressure guage, I show you mine... you explain your weight system, I explain mine, etc, etc, etc.... Where is the requirement to standardize on one gear configuration to be an effective buddy team?

As long as a buddy team briefs before the dive as you described above.

Spectre once bubbled...
Where is the requirement to standardize on one gear configuration to be an effective buddy team?

I think the advantage is that if you're intimately familiar with your configuration and diving style, things will be better and safer if you know your buddy's configuration and style are precisely the same. In a (literally) life or death situation where seconds can seperate the two, I believe the idea is that a standardized and heavily practiced configuration, signal set, attitude, and procedures set maximizes safety.

jonnythan once bubbled...
I think the advantage is that if you're intimately familiar with your configuration and diving style, things will be better and safer if you know your buddy's configuration and style are precisely the same.

You get the same thing out of a regular buddy anyway. I admit a standard config/style allows for more compatability when finding new buddies, but just because someone has all the equipment doesn't mean the important parts are necessarily there.

What does standardization matter with new buddies? I can only see it as a potential method of introducing complacency, where you assume that the buddy conforms with the standard as you do, and leaves the potential for something to be skipped or ignored in pre-dive rituals.

The more things are the same, the more hazardous something different can become...

Do you think by having a 2 minute conversation about where each other's octos are is the same as practicing in the same buddy team for months? Will I remember that when I panic if I have not drilled it into my head?

The point is, dive planning does not have to entail gear standardization. Most people dive with non-standardized gear and walk away from it just fine. I don't choose to dive that way and that is my decision. I am just explaining why I do it the way I do it...I am not questioning the way you do it.

At the other extreme, there are a few divers that sometimes prior to even completing any DIR training, quote the DIR book as if it were Holy Scripture. I guess they are looking for a shortcut to be “in the know.” They tend to be the ones that respond emotionally to any statement that is in any way derogatory to DIR, which to me anyway, is very annoying. Many of their responses sound like they’re attempting to convince themselves.

MikeS...these people are all over every sport and even non-DIR diving...just tune them out.

The more things are the same, the more hazardous something different can become...

That's why I dive with like-minded buddies that I dive with very frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom