GUE Fundies Report - January 2009, Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent write up... and gets me more excited. I'd like to know if other GUE-F divers wouldn't mind weighing in on this point, When am I ready? as I've been trying to figure this out myself. I am in the process of selecting equipment to move to a BP/W config and plan to take the class later this spring. But I want to make sure I will get the most out of it. Were there any specific skills that you wish you had practiced prior to taking the class. (I know buoyancy and trim) But we haven't been taught proper back kicks / or low silting kicks, is this going to be an issue? I'm also curious as to folks learning doubles in relation to taking the GUE-F class. I was told that they could work in the doubles as part of GUE-F but I'm concerned (not having dove them before) that it will distract me from other aspects of the class. And there is the option to learn doubles after... Your thoughts?

Gombessa - Thanks again as it's information like this that helps me (in the research phase) compile my questions to ask of potential instructor / and gets me excited to get back in there asap. Florida is cold this month - Wah!!! But at least I'm not shoveling like some folks.

There isn't much I would work on before class, other than getting comfortable in the gear you'll be using. Your best bet is to dive lots before the class, focusing on trim and buoyancy (more the latter). Don't worry about the kicks too much. Having a decent frog kick going in is a plus, but I wouldn't sweat it. All of this will be shown to you. As for all the specific GUE "drills" (shooting a bag, basic 5, diver rescues, etc), just wait.

With respect to doing the class in doubles, go for it if you're already comfortable in them (probably 10 dives), otherwise, just do it in a single. Diving doubles is easy, but it helps if the basics are already in place (which is much harder).

Good luck!

Remember, the class is supposed to TEACH you things. You aren't expected to come into it already knowing them. Especially a class like this one, which is broken up and allows for some time for digestion (or even practice).

I think, to get the most out of Fundies, you should be able to hover reasonably still, and do something like a regulator exchange without losing your buoyancy control. I practiced the Basic 5 (reg remove/replace, regulator exchange, mask flood and clear, mask remove&replace, and modified S-drill) before class until I was pretty sure I could do them without major buoyancy problems. It was definitely good enough to get a lot out of the class. I wouldn't practice any of the things you are expected to learn -- the kicks, the S-drills, the SMB deployment -- because you may well get them wrong, and if you can do them all well already, what's the class FOR?

This class sounds like something I would love to take. Now it is about saving the money to paid for the class.

I think Rainer and TS&M said it well. I think if you're a DMC, you've certainly got enough time/comfort in the water to be able to get a LOT out of class (though I've definitely heard stories of grizzled instructors with thousands of dives who have failed). My point was intended more towards newer divers who feel they're still sketchy on the basics. As a personal example, I took Essentials (sort of like Fundies-light), last year when I had maybe 30 dives total and didn't own any of my own equipment. I felt I learned a lot, but I spent most of my time trying to stay off the bottom, wasn't able to take advantage of the instructor's advice or gear/fit adjustments, and in the end I didn't think I got everything I could have.

As for doubles, my experience is different from a lot of people's--it didn't feel comfortable at all switching from a single tank, and took me at least 20 dives or so to get any kind of basic proficiency. I didn't find it "easy" or "stable" in any sense; part of it was probably gear (steel backplate with 72s), but whatever the reason, I would have been similarly distracted and unable to learn if I took Fundies soon after making the switch.

I believe if you're "comfortable" in the gear you'll be taking the class in and not constantly fighting to maintain your general position/orientation in the water, you're in an ideal position to learn what the class has to offer.

G,
Thanks for posting this..very informative! Answered a lot of questions I had.
I did a discover DIR a few years back,which intrigued me..just useing a borrowed B/P wing,gear and such..?
Someday with the right buddy(and gear) I would like to take the plunge..(no pun intended)

Thanks again-good job!

Back
Top Bottom