GUE requiring DIR-F as of June 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, lessee, there are several options here if changing the course over to pass/fail (or graded with a cutoff level):

1. Keep the course exactly the same, don't change the amount of material or the duration.

2. Lessen the amount of material, keep the duration the same.

3. Keep the amount of material the same, increase the duration of the course.

My opinions:

#1 results in adding a lot of extra stress to an experience that already demands a high amount of patience and willpower in order to succeed. (Read SeaJay's post if you doubt this).

#2 keeps the course convenient and less-stressful for students, as it can fit into a weekend timeframe and there is less information to absorb, but it results in a "watered-down" version of the current DIRF course. Many people (including myself) would probably be opponents of this happening.

#3 keeps the integrity of the course high, but makes it more inconvenient for the students, as it will require more time off from work -- and potentially away from home. Plus, what if you fail? You have to go through ANOTHER week of DIRF? (some would say this is not a bad thing). Not the greatest solution, but a plausible one, anyway.

My main opinion:

I think that the course should be separated into two sections -- the "lecture" and the "practical".

The lecture and testing of gained information can be taught in a variety of ways (classroom, over the Net, mail-in, whatever). Make it smart, make it hard, make people have to study for it. You can take the lecture course over and over until you pass.

Once you've made the grade, then you can move on to the practical section, but you must schedule the practical to be taken by a certain amount of time, or else you have to pass the lecture test again. This ensures that the information stays fresh in the students' brains.

Now, the instructors can focus directly on teaching ALL of the required skills. They would be assured that their students understand the concepts and science behind the skills they are trying to teach, because the students will have recently proven so.

The duration of the course would not need to be changed, and students would be "smarter" because they would have had the ability to take in all of the information at their own speed. It makes it easier for the organization to schedule classes (if needed) and practicals.

Educational facilities have been doing this for a while now. I don't see why the model couldn't work for GUE, or any other certifying organization, for that matter.

Matt

Let me see if I can clear up some of the misundertandings, but also bear in mind a few issues are still unsettled. When the final issues are settled the GUE Board of Director's will release a complete analysis.

However that being said, you are correct beginning in June the DIR-F class will become a formalized class, with the requisite requirements associated with it. The GUE BOD felt that given the success and explosion of growth associated with the DIR-F class that many diver's were primarily associating GUE with the DIR-F class. So the concern was that when the DIR-F class started it was more of a seminar. As it evolved, changed and grew it started to resemble more of a class in nature so in an effort to maintain high standards the BOD felt that given that everyone was seeing it as a class, it was starting to resemble a class that it was the appropriate time to take the formal steps to standardize the curriculm, put in some perfomance based criteria and the like. Still left unanswered is how to treat someone who previously took the class, and the resulting effect that will have on untilizing that experience towards the new pre-requisite that the DIR-F class will be required for higher level training.

Again to reiterate, the GUE BOD is still analyzing the issue so NOTHING has been decided. I suspect, that if you have previously taken the class, and your instructor is confident of your abilities, he can recommend tyou for upper level classes. Given the nature of scuba forum communications it is very, very important to emphasis that this is not final so GUE must reserve the right to a different end result after hearing concerns from all the BOD members..

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that GUE represents a vision that we are trying to stay true to. The vision, of course, is in part about diving education but it's also about ecological studies, scientific research, preserving the environment and so on.. The BOD felt strongly that the DIR-F seminar was overshadowing our efforts in other areas, and they also felt that part of the core belief of GUE is that we want to remain an elite training organization that is inclusive only to those diver's that are committed to core principle's of DIR and issues surrounding making the seminar to inclusive consistently surrounded the program. Issues such as allowing smoker's or unfit diver's or diver's with more relaxed gear choices began to compromise what GUE stood for, so the BOD felt that even though the class wasn't a certification class, that all too many didn't necessarily recignize the distinction so in an effort to preserve the integrity of GUE training they decided that the time was appropriate.

I'll also note that as Mike pointed out, there were internal conflicts about the decision, and of course as any organization grows that is to be expected. In fact, JJ and I discussed that very issue and while he supported a healthy exchange of views, the issue was put to a vote of the BOD and the results are manifest..

I'm sure you'll have questions so let me know if I can help, but also as I noted the BOD will make future announcements shortly..

Thanks

Mike,
I imagine that there was a lot of very animated discussion regarding the decision on the DIR-F class/seminar.
Thanks for sharing the info with everyone on the board.

Larry

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom