"Guided" 200' dive with a single AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like he's gotten scared as well. Just checked and he's pulled the videos. No matter. I'm still filing the report.

This has become a very sad example . . . of a pack mentality-driven witch hunt that has devolved to a personal level!

That "reports" are being filed 100s (1000s?) of miles away without ANY relevant firsthand knowledge of the FACTS involved is ridiculous! As is reports of "he's gotten scared" - what is that all about? :noI think folks should take a deep breath . . . sit down and watch some football . . . and check their own houses for glass before any more stones are cast. If that doesn't work, some time on a therapist's couch may be in order.

If anyone is inclined to play "PADI prosecutor", you might want to start by combing this board and others for trip reports of cattle boats where "DMs" play try-to-keep-up-with-me-while-I-blow-through-this-dive! If you've taken the time to thoroughly investigate PlayaCountryBoy (which it seems like at least one of you has spent the past couple of days doing) you might notice that his operation is one in which he takes no more than 3 divers (that's one, two, three) on a guided dive (that's looking at and after his divers) by a PADI trained Master Scuba Diver Trainer (not just a DM) who has been diving for 26 years (that's 23 more than 3)! That sounds like a pretty good operatioin to me, and it's been confirmed by the many positive reports and recommendations that I've read on this board and elsewhere.

If you would not be comfortable diving with PlayaCountryBoy . . . then don't. It's called personal choice - perhaps a novel concept?

I, for one, have two trips booked with PlayaCountryBoy - one in January and another in March - and I'm sticking with him. There was no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice after corresponding with several operators . . . and I am even more confident that I'll be getting the best and safest service now.

I'll be sure to post my dive reports!!

I, for one, have two trips booked with PlayaCountryBoy - one in January and another in March - and I'm sticking with him. There was no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice after corresponding with several operators . . .

One question - does he ask for payment up front? :freak:

This is not a dive I would participate in. But I would not presume to tell someone who I do not know and knows his clients dive experiences better than any of us, how he should make his dives from my keyboard. I have never dove Playa, but after seeing some of his excellent videos it makes me want to.

by a PADI trained Master Scuba Diver Trainer (not just a DM) who has been diving for 26 years (that's 23 more than 3)!

From what I have seen, being a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer/course director/instructor trainer, etc. does not correlate strongly to diving ability or ability to safely watch and guide people.

From what I have seen, being a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer/course director/instructor trainer, etc. does not correlate strongly to diving ability or ability to safely watch and guide people.

No, but nor does goose-stepping and chest pounding badge displays by someone who has been at it for 36 (make that 40) months! However, actually taking out no more than 3 divers at a time and keeping an eye on those three divers on reef dives well within recreational limits sounds like a pretty good approach and record to me!

However, actually taking out no more than 3 divers at a time and keeping an eye on those three divers on reef dives well within recreational limits sounds like a pretty good approach and record to me!

:rofl3::rofl3:

... taking out no more than 3 divers at a time and keeping an eye on those three divers on reef dives well within recreational limits sounds like a pretty good approach and record to me!

Did you catch the part about 200ft on air with a single tank? He also posted a video he took a pair of open water configured divers on a cave on a tour. Well, it's hard to tell from the video. Perhaps it was within the cavern zone.

As you said, very few of us (if any) know the details about this guy's operation. Perhaps he provides an expedited training program prior to conducting the dives with his clients. Who knows. (Does PADI have an "Tech 2 in a weekend" program yet?)

Tell you the truth Clam ..I'm with you ...went to his web site watched his videos and he seems to have a tight op down there. One thing I know is clear warm tropical water is alot less taxing on you then the cold waters of SoCal and the Northwest Pacific/Northeast Atlantic. He maybe into bounce diving and he may have a few folks tagging along ...that is ultimately their choice. The guys who recon-ordered the Andrea Dora did the same in 51 deg H2O with crappier gear... Playa's got alot of yrs behind him and though he may be a little audacious he is successful ...hey if I were stuck in the SCUBA/ Travel business I too would would pitch my business "over-the-top" like Playa .. How elese are you going to stand out from the vanilla shops/tour guides out there ..on a small time budget. From his site his boat looks ship shape.

Course this is the internet and the guy could ultimately be a troll ...but I seriously doubt it!

Bottom line is he is pitching his business the best he knows how ... dangerous but hey dangerous gets attention and ultimately it sells.

Back
Top Bottom