"Guided" 200' dive with a single AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's almost as disturbing to me as the dive is how some of y'all are responding.

Somehow I thought personal attacks were still a ToS violation ... not to mention it's a pretty ineffective way to get someone to change their thought process.

I don't think it was a very smart way to dive, but I also think there's a better way to discuss why ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did one dive recently (recreational) in my doubles and it was pointed out to me that I had just enough gas to get myself seriously bent and that I'd be better off doing it in a single AL80 so I wouldn't have time to build up a deco obligation. :shakehead:

That’s about a stupid statement. Did you try to set him straight?

I just did a dive where I was flashing into and out of deco mode and when I hit the surface I still had 1900 pounds out of the 3000 I started with.

That not getting bent on a single tank mentality has sure caused a lot of injury and deaths over the years. You can get into serious deco problems on single tanks.:shakehead:

Gary D.

That’s about a stupid statement. Did you try to set him straight?

I just did a dive where I was flashing into and out of deco mode and when I hit the surface I still had 1900 pounds out of the 3000 I started with.

That not getting bent on a single tank mentality has sure caused a lot of injury and deaths over the years. You can get into serious deco problems on single tanks.:shakehead:

Gary D.

That is like taking off with half fuel so you won't go far emough to run out of gas--stupid!!!!

N

post_new.gif
11-17-2007, 10:28 #48 amtrosie

reputation_pos.gif

Re: This is what swam past me at 199ft!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaCountryBoy

YES I agree everyone should do a deep air, nitrox, and advanced nitrox course brefore ever trying this. I will take heed in what everyone has said and will NOT be offering this dive anymore. NOW.... I don't expect anymore flack from anyone. There's nothing more I can do but to NOT offer it. Period. Happy?

You advocate adv. Nitrox for a 200' dive? WTF? [edited by almitywife] ! Oh, and a deep air class too.

I noticed the ambient light as well. This guy is full of donkey excrement, to the third degree!!!!

One outfit I will not look up when in Mexico!

post_new.gif
11-17-2007, 17:24 #55 Caves&Bunnies

reputation_pos.gif

Re: This is what swam past me at 199ft!!!
...Sigh....

Hey, how about averyone follow me to 200 ft! We're only using a SpareAir, because 80's aren't macho enough.

[edited by almitywife], Besides from the coral growth and color, I'm inclined to believe the 70' that Wonderbar stated.

I am calling this outfit this week, and will forward all pertinent information and links. If they don't do anything, I will go right to the affiliated agency.

I have a problem with new posts appearing in the "Accidents" section of our board.

Mike Edmonston
NAUI Instructor#46984
Technical Scuba Training Center, FL.
www.floridatechdive.com

***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for DecoStop members ***
user_online.gif

A little more info for those of you who aren't a member of The Deco Stop.

g'day folks :happywave

fyi, i have deleted a couple of posts that included some name calling
(i have pm'd those posters, so if you didnt get one then its not you :wink:)
and ask that you continue to contibute in a friendly way

cheers and thanks

g'day folks :happywave

fyi, i have deleted a couple of posts that included some name calling
(i have pm'd those posters, so if you didnt get one then its not you :wink:)
and ask that you continue to contibute in a friendly way

cheers and thanks

Thank you! And my sentiments exactly....can't we all just get along. I thought me posting the hammerhead video was "keeping the dream alive" for the dreamers...the novices...the beginners...the people I would never take down to 150'-175'. I just want to say that we were all instructors execpt one person and she had over 500 dives off the walls of Cozumel. We all had done deco diving before. We were all very safe and felt very safe about the dive. Alot of critics here don't have all the facts. They see the video or read something off my news page (which are all fictional stories based on true facts) and just need to let everybody how this is a shining example what not to do. They are speculating as to the events that lead up to making and completing that deep dive. When in fact, alot of blowhards just need to belittle someone to make themselves feel like the diving god they think they are.

I am a little confused listening to the various arguments. I can see both sides. You have the PADI agency thing in play, which makes people think that noobs went to the tropics and were told the dive would be safe and fun, playaboy could have killed them.

You have the "noobs will see this and think it is cool and okay" people who think it is their job to educate everyone that gets into the sport.

But as someone who is only starting to take this sport "more seriously" after dabbling for ten years... I have to say regulation of any sport is B.S. I agree with the comments of the person who said that it could be construed as a slap in the face of the pioneers who died so that we could learn from them, however, people can and should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want (as long as they are not being forced into the decision.) If someone wants to make a dive **** and let them do it. They are responsible for educating themselves. They are responsible for their own lives. It is called natural selection. People should be free to make their own choices. No one is telling you to dive that way. Everyone chooses to live their life their own way.

The only problem I really see is that playaboy felt the need to brag about it. Because of that he sort of deserves whatever flack he gets.

Yes, people die. Sometimes from falling off a two foot ladder, sometimes from diving to 200ft.

Now I am totally confused! What type of diving are you trying to advertise by posting these kinds of "stories" on your site?

They see the video or read something off my news page (which are all fictional stories based on true facts) and just need to let everybody how this is a shining example what not to do.

What points are you trying to make? Taking 2 divers in singles to deep depths, and one not having enough gas for deco? Truth or fiction? 500 dives don't mean squat if they haven't been properly trained. She must have missed the gas management part of her training. (Unless you left out the part that she had an equipment/stage failure of some kind) I love the fact that you saw beautiful sharks! That is why I dive! But the whole story turned squirley and you posted in a forum (The Deco Stop) where they will pick apart all the nonsense to the type of diving you were bragging about. I still don't understand what "keeping the dream alive" means when the risks in your story and the incident that occurred shows how dangerous this situation could have become. OOA is something I DO NOT TAKE LIGHTLY ON ANY ACCOUNT! I experienced it during training in a pool when I first started to dive and never want to be in that situation again if at all humanly possible!

Dude...yknow, I wish you the very best. I hope to never read about an incident/accident where your "fiction" becomes a fact!

Happy Safe diving Everyone! ***HUGS***
Carolyn:sharks:

PS. "COMPLACENCY KILLS because yknow, it will never happen to me!":no

Dumbest dive possible is not a boundary I want to go pushing. He's welcome to it.

Instructor training is no substitute for tech dive training. It seems to be an all too common mistake for some instructors to think it is.

I couldn't agree more about the instructor rating doesn't mean you know tech diving. Maybe he's been tech trained, maybe not. But by asking "what's GUE?" above, I'll bet the latter.

And I'm sure at some point he'll come back with the "I've dived X-thousand of dives, and know my way around." Well, my tank has thousands of dives, but just doing them doesn't mean you've gotten the necessary exposure to learning opportunities or that you've taken the opportunities and made them into learning experiences.

I'm not a "DIR" diver by definition, but I can't argue with their methodologies. In fact, after I made IT I started my tech training (couldn't afford both at the same time, and IT makes me $$$). And since starting my tech training (TDI) I can't argue with the DIR concepts. Argue with some of those "nazi" types who are way too arrogant? Yes, but not the methodologies.

I have had a few freinds who did this kind of bounce dive while spearfishing. Yeah, they're still alive, but you can still live to talk about playing russian roulette. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Anyway, I'm off of my soap box, but this guy's story doesn't add up to being sound diving in just too many ways.

The below statement is the last he posted on a thread HE started at The Deco Stop! All I can say is my oh my! Good luck Brother!:shakehead:

What I see are a bunch a morons here! Instead of trying to help and guide someone in the right direction with words of wisdom, you choose to act like little kids. How old are you people? You must just need a bull's eye on your dart board. Glad I could be that for you guys this week. The truth is, you are the blow-hard, chest thumpers, that think they know everything. You scare off any possibility of getting know another person who loves the water and exploration. You just are plain rude and not nice. I guess most of you have jobs where you DO NOT deal with people. I hope so anyway. I sure as hell hope I never see any of these ************s who have insisted on name calling and being rude me. I will leave you all to it. Good luck in getting a personality one day. BTW, if any of you want to "look me up" down here, I'm sure your smarty pants can figure out where I am. C'mon down, let's have a chat! I'm always open to meeting new people.
tongue.gif

Happy Diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Ps...I can't recall he asked anyone there for help. Hmmmm :no

Back
Top Bottom