Guinness - it IS good for you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orval? That was a hand puppet duck who "sang" "I wish i could fly" or are we not thinking of the same one? It is just as good in the UK as Ireland, its not bad here either, except the price!

Boddies and Cafferys go down well! Quite light, but still a little heavier and nicer than the real light beers, for those nights when i dont want to feel i have had a 4 course meal for a drink of Guinness.

simbrooks:
Orval? That was a hand puppet duck who "sang" "I wish i could fly" or are we not thinking of the same one? It is just as good in the UK as Ireland, its not bad here either, except the price!

OD and I did a beer tasting thing last summer and we had something called Orval. It was really heavy but not as heavy as guinness. I didn't like it much. We also had a cherry beer that was a nice after dinner drink but i don't think I could stand to much of it. Very sweet.

simbrooks:
However how many of you have tried it in Ireland and also paid less than $4-5 per pint?
Will be trying it in Ireland in June - hooray!

Just down the street from me is an Irish pub with Guinness on draft during happy hour for $4 - and that's the 20oz imperial!

For all of the Guinness drinkers on the board.... try Abita Turbo Dog from Abita Brewing in New Orleans. We can get the stuff in a few select bars up in Ohio, so I assume that it is fairly widely available. I'm a huge guinness drinker, ( I mean I drink a lot of it, not that I'm 6'8" or 400 lbs) and I love the Turbo Dog.

christopher1260:
For all of the Guinness drinkers on the board.... try Abita Turbo Dog from Abita Brewing in New Orleans. We can get the stuff in a few select bars up in Ohio, so I assume that it is fairly widely available. I'm a huge guinness drinker, ( I mean I drink a lot of it, not that I'm 6'8" or 400 lbs) and I love the Turbo Dog.
Can't agree with you there. TurboDog is a chocolaty-sweet ale that just doesn't sit well with me. Of course, options for decent brews are limited in New Orleans, so when I'm there, I choose Abita over Dixie. I'm sure there's someone on the board for whom them thar's fighting words... :eyebrow:

Now here's the question of the hour.. who here besides me has made beer and what types? I've made a stout that tasted very much like vitamin G, but I altered it a little and it had a mondoyummy aftertaste that was just slightly sweeter than G and 2x the alcohol percentage at 8.4%. My raspberry wheat was good with flavor and body and clocked in high alcohol wise to at 14%. I tried my hand at a pale ale that was odd tasting, my lager was way to drinkable at 7.5% and tasting similar to Sam Adams - I got hosed testing it because I liked it so much I went after a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pint!

I've taken a hiatus from brewing though... mostly because making 72 pints at a time tended to create parties and hang overs that I couldn't keep up with although the beer was really yummy....

CBulla:
Now here's the question of the hour.. who here besides me has made beer and what types? I've made a stout that tasted very much like vitamin G, but I altered it a little and it had a mondoyummy aftertaste that was just slightly sweeter than G and 2x the alcohol percentage at 8.4%. My raspberry wheat was good with flavor and body and clocked in high alcohol wise to at 14%. I tried my hand at a pale ale that was odd tasting, my lager was way to drinkable at 7.5% and tasting similar to Sam Adams - I got hosed testing it because I liked it so much I went after a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pint!

I've taken a hiatus from brewing though... mostly because making 72 pints at a time tended to create parties and hang overs that I couldn't keep up with although the beer was really yummy....
I used to, and made mostly ales and porters, with the occassional stout mixed in. Never tried a lager - not my favorite beer style.

However, time & effort won out, and now I pay for people to make it for me!

We have a lovely little micro brewery not to far from us called the Church key brewing company. They make a nice Northumberland ale and a few months ago they had a chocolate lager. The Northumberland is nice for a light beer but I found the lager had a grainy aftertaste. Like putting cocoa in your mouth dry. I much prefer the dark beers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom