Gulf Coast Dive Reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto algulfdiver's comment. The Mass is an awesome dive. It is a particularly incredible night dive, as you can spend forever just poking around the nooks and crannies. usually lots of octopi, an occasional nurse shark, Stargazers (which can shock you into next week) and tons of other stuff. You can look at the armor belt that protected the ship and lots of other interesting stuff. It's a Marine Preserve and, as you suggest, old, Navy and unique. Come see it.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany
Off the subject of this Thread - but I thought the Mass was in the channel (it stakes are out of the water right?)

How is the current? Do you plan the trips around the tides? What is the visibility like now? I have always wanted to dive it but I thought the current would be too strong given it's location.

She lays just west of the channel in 26 ft of water. It does break the surface, though just barely these days. You do have to plan around the tides, as they can make the site undiveable at full ebb or flood. Best times are on the neap tide cycles, though you can target a window of opportunity around the high tide. Vis can go from nothing to more than you need, depending on other weather conditions. When we have high winds and lots of rain, like we've had lately, it can be pretty bad. During the summer, when we have calmer winds, it settles down and we can have 20 - 50 ft vis. It is definitely a dive you have to plan, but it can be great when the conditions are right.

Capt. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom