Guy to Break World Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1200' is a one way trip. Maybe you get lucky and catch a free return flight once, but the odds are not in your favor.

Regardless, if this dude claims he did a 550' dive today and was only in the water for an hour and a half...he's either a liar or he is blowing off a lot of deco...which considering the op says he is fine would make him the most efficient decompressor in the world.

Big load of that smelly thing that comes out of a bull or a horse...

1200' is a one way trip. Maybe you get lucky and catch a free return flight once, but the odds are not in your favor.

Regardless, if this dude claims he did a 550' dive today and was only in the water for an hour and a half...he's either a liar or he is blowing off a lot of deco...which considering the op says he is fine would make him the most efficient decompressor in the world.

Eh, I can make Deco Planner put out a ~130min RT for a 550ft dive. Just a bounce down, then straight up with 6 deco gases starting at 300ft. 9% o2 on the bottom.

Not for me, but I suppose its possible. HPNS becomes a thing around those depths, IIRC, but might be manageable for all I know.

I suspect that the OP is well meaning, but has taken too seriously some BS on the boat. Just based on what we got, no way he did 550' in 1.5 hours, and the stuff about one day doing 1200', well...

What's your basis for calling 1200' a one-way? Current OC record stands at just shy of 1100'. Agree with the second part, unless it was one Hell of a bounce dive. Setting up a zero conservatism VPM-BE dive with 8/50 plus oodles of deco mixes, 100fpm drop and 60fpm ascents, and essentially no BT, I can squeeze in a 550' dive in 60min RT...but that's just bananas.

[Edit: when AJ and I are thinking the same thing at the same time, I get worried.]

Last edited:
None of it looks like any fun to me. Blow through $$$ in gases on your back and bottles clipped off everywhere, then look at a gauge that tells you you are at xxx deep, then sit there for hours looking at blue open vast empty water.
Yeah, thrilling!

This is the only thing I've been able to find after a brief search regarding pulmonary function and diving but it seems to pertain to saturation divers.

Long-term Effects of Sport Diving
"It was generally thought that divers had larger vital capacities than nondivers, but this theory was rebuked in a study by Thorsem and coworkers.[14] They observed 152 saturation divers and compared them with 106 matched controls, and found differences in lung function variables between the two groups. These changes were consistent with small airways dysfunction and with the transient changes in lung function seen immediately after a single saturation dive. The association found in this study between reduced pulmonary function and previous diving exposure suggests that there are cumulative long-term effects of diving on pulmonary function. Though this change of vital capacity probably has little effect upon the diver's general health, recent studies, including one by Lehnigk and colleagues[15], have indicated that divers develop some degree of air flow obstruction due to airway narrowing.

Pulmonary diffusion capacity deteriorates with age and this process may be accelerated in divers. Early research has been limited to deep diving, where a diminution of pulmonary diffusion post-dive may not be clinically significant and improves in a few weeks. A change in pulmonary diffusion capacity is also associated with diminution of exercise tolerance but this has functional rather than clinical significance."

World records in hot dog eating,dancing etc, etc are fine, but world records for diving are farm animal stupid. Last year we saw a world record for depth broken, and everybody proclaimed this is wonderful yadda yadda, but ultimately somebody will want to break that. This isn't pioneering but oneupmanship which WILL lead to fatalities.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom