H2Odyssey RG2V versus Zeagle Razor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question regarding a compact pony bottle setup for anyone who might be in the know...

For a compact first stage that screws right into a tank without a valve, is there any reason to choose the more expensive Zeagle Razor over the H2Odyssey RG2V?

The Razor is the first stage commonly found on Zeagle's quick-deploy pony systems (often with only a 6 cf bottle but compatible with any size and available separately). The RG2V is one of 3 first stages commonly found on H2Odyssey's various EAS bailout systems (but also available separately).

The Razor does have 2 more LP ports, but if you don't need them, then so what?

The Razor at about $200 includes your choice of filler adapters. The RG2V requires one purchased separately, but the total still comes in way under $200 at most vendors.

They are both piston first stages. The Zeagle is Nitrox-compatible -- not sure about the H2Odyssey. Zeagle, I would think, is more of a respected brand. Zeagles come with a better warranty too, I believe. Did I just answer my own question? Is it Nitrox+reputation+warranty?

Just curious what your decision was.

I have used the H2Odyssey for years now - on both a 13cf and a 6cf pony. It is very compact, very reliable (dove in cold water down tyo 43°F and 130 feet), and easy to maintain. I think you are paying a lot more for the Zeagle name. You can get the H2Odyssey with an adaptor for about $120. Personally, I don't want to pay $80 for a name.

Thanks Kharon. Do you have the second stage attached to the the bottle and carry on a sling or attached the bottle to your primary tank? I am thinking of a19cf tank with H2Odyssey mounted to my primary with the second stage on a hose clipped to my BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom