Halcyon Knobless Lower Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm getting ready to switch from my DR Jr Wing to my Halcyon Eclipse. I think I've resolved what I'll do about the shoulder dump/corrugated hose/inflator to meet my needs (in short, replace everything), now I have to deal with the lower dump valve. I dive mainly very cold water and wear 5mm neoprene gloves. As Halcyon appears desperate to appear different, they do not include knob of any sort on the end of the manual pull string on the lower valve. Apparently, any such knob would constitute a snag risk for DIR divers.

I cannot imagine being able to locate that string without a knob when wearing 5mm gloves, and esp in cold murky conditions (if the latter matters at all). Am I incorrect? Does anyone succeed in dumping this knobless valve manually wearing 5mm gloves? If not, does anyone know where I can buy a plastic knob? I suppose I could poach one from one of my other wings or BCs.

Thanks.

mahjong

I'm very interested myself. I was very close to buying an Eclipse the other night and that was the first thing I noticed.

I think the easy answer is that you can just add one but I'm curious to know how one would do it without some sort of pull.

mahjong:
I'm getting ready to switch from my DR Jr Wing to my Halcyon Eclipse. I think I've resolved what I'll do about the shoulder dump/corrugated hose/inflator to meet my needs (in short, replace everything), now I have to deal with the lower dump valve. I dive mainly very cold water and wear 5mm neoprene gloves. As Halcyon appears desperate to appear different, they do not include knob of any sort on the end of the manual pull string on the lower valve. Apparently, any such knob would constitute a snag risk for DIR divers.

I cannot imagine being able to locate that string without a knob when wearing 5mm gloves, and esp in cold murky conditions (if the latter matters at all). Am I incorrect? Does anyone succeed in dumping this knobless valve manually wearing 5mm gloves? If not, does anyone know where I can buy a plastic knob? I suppose I could poach one from one of my other wings or BCs.

Thanks.

mahjong

We don't put any pull ball on our pull dumps either, you don't really need it, and it can get tangled.

Here's what I did while I got used to "Just the string" I put a lead "split shot" on the end of the string. One about the size of a pencil eraser. That made the string hang straight down. It helped for the first few dives because it made finding the string more certain. Now I don't need it, the muscle memory is engrained.

Tobin

With just a little practice, you'll learn how to manage. Start by finding the dump valve, you know the string is in the middle of it, pinch between your thumb and forefinger (you don't really have to feel it, just pinch where the string should be) and pull gently to verify you have it. Wrap a couple more fingers around it and pull till the valve opens.

You might also think of taking the stock string off, and putting a more stout one on and just tie a knot in the end.

My DR Classic wing came with a pull ball (my Pioneer of course did not). On my first dive with the Classic, it came off in my hand. I just laughed. Now I don't miss it 10 or so dives later.

I dive a DSS single rig (best thing I've bought so far) that came without a plastic ball on the string, just a knot at the end. I wear pretty thick wetsuit gloves while diving here in So Cal. I read a suggestion somewhere here on the board that I can't seem to find to link to right this second. It worked great for me from the first time I tried it.

Make an "OK" sign around the plastic part of the valve with your thumb and forefinger. Then just close that circle up as you pull. The knot'll end up pinched between your fingers without you even really having to think about it. Practice a few times out of the water and I'd be willing to bet you'll have no troubles.

Adam

mahjong:
I cannot imagine being able to locate that string without a knob when wearing 5mm gloves, and esp in cold murky conditions (if the latter matters at all). Am I incorrect? Does anyone succeed in dumping this knobless valve manually wearing 5mm gloves?
Yes actually, it's do-able. I first learned to do it with 6.5mm gloves, then with the blue smurf dry gloves with liners. One thing I did to be able to feel and grip the string better was to tie 2 extra knots along the string in addition to the one on the end.

When I need to dump gas, I first locate the valve, then make an "OK" sign around it with my thumb and index finger. Then I just kind of close up the OK until I have the string in my grasp. <edit> yeah.... like the other guys already described :D

I am able to find it now (I dive a Pioneer) but it took a bit of time. At first I'd tied on a bit of leftover necklace material into a thicker know. It was too floaty and made it actually tougher to find the string. I also dive 5 mm gloves.

I remember seeing a DIY layout of how to add a thicker string, and may go that route in the future.

One thing to note: I know one member on this board (I think it was lamont) actually managed to loosen the dump valve over repeated dives by rotating his fingers around to find the string. Just something to be aware of.

Best of luck
Bjorn

Edit: Talk about timing. DIY to change to thicker string in post above :)

Back
Top Bottom