Half Moon Lake, Muskegon County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me guess! Someone told you that there was a sunken train in the lake. And that "someone" was not a diver, but just someone repeating a rumor :shakehead:. How'd I do?

(If I only had a dollar for everytime I have heard of a train in the bottom of the lake, I wouldn't have to worry about paying for air fills for a few years.)

Actually, they did use the word Bridge. It was a diver I met outside of a dive shop that was supposed to be open at 10:00 am but the owner did not get there til 10:45 so we had some opportunity to talk diving.

As for me checking it out? I dont know now. With that limited of visibility, I dont really see me spending the gas money to make it up there.

Let me guess! Someone told you that there was a sunken train in the lake. And that "someone" was not a diver, but just someone repeating a rumor :shakehead:. How'd I do?

(If I only had a dollar for everytime I have heard of a train in the bottom of the lake, I wouldn't have to worry about paying for air fills for a few years.)

Let's try to act like an adult now. No real reason for such a unconstructive post.

The last post here was a while ago, but I've got to put in my two cents. Half Moon Lake has the distinction (out of a 100+ logged dives) being easily the most un-fun dive I've ever made. I was teaching one summer at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in Twin Lake, and several diving acquaintances told me to take my gear up to Michigan. I met up with some local divers hoping to dive in the big lake, but no such luck. We went out to Half Moon. My experience mirrors Rec Diver's. It was extremely cold and dark (and shallow for me; my max depth was 31 feet), and there was nothing to see but muddy bottom, depite the rumors (I even logged it) about the train buried in the mud.

As if that didn't make the dive special enough, my buddy, who was towing the float, and I, had to surface because something kept trying to violently yank the reel out of his hands. We get to the surface and it's some yahoo on a jet ski trying to take the float as a souvenir!

If I had to choose between diving Half Moon Lake and watching white paint dry, I'd choose the latter. Seriously, don't waste your time.

Last edited:
it is a very weedy lake especially this year......If you are driving baptist lake in southern Newaygo county is a much better lake for visibility and overall dive quality.

I just found this site., with the hopes you guys had pics of the train. I grew up there, & yes, for real , there is a train in there. [part of a train]
tho I dont know if you can see it still. as kids we investigated the whole area. the bridge was very visable, but of course the train settled much deeper. I dont dive. but we always thought it would be cool if we could go down there and look around. I started a thread [?] about this on the greetings & introduction page, if you guys are still interested in it.

I personally have dove Half Moon Lake over 20 times. The train bridge is made out of multiple layers of logs and boards, found multiple anchors there. You can find the bridge at the narrows an can see the top of it from your boat. It's best to dive here in the early spring before the weeds pollinate. Visibility gets worse when the water gets warmer. You can find an upside down bulldozer north west of the bridge in approximately 15' of water. I have an old freind that dove there in the 70's and accually saw the train before it was completely covered in the muck. The burried train is on the west side near the large 2 story building that was used for housing the ice blocks they extracted from the frozen lake.

I personally have dove Half Moon Lake over 20 times. The train bridge is made out of multiple layers of logs and boards, found multiple anchors there. You can find the bridge at the narrows an can see the top of it from your boat. It's best to dive here in the early spring before the weeds pollinate. Visibility gets worse when the water gets warmer. You can find an upside down bulldozer north west of the bridge in approximately 15' of water. I have an old freind that dove there in the 70's and accually saw the train before it was completely covered in the muck. The burried train is on the west side near the large 2 story building that was used for housing the ice blocks they extracted from the frozen lake.

Thanks for the info. This is an old post but it's cool to post useful information BTW, Welcome to :sblogo:

Back
Top Bottom