Halloween ScubaBoard Get Together- Hunt or not to Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MilitantMedic,
*sigh*​

I’m not ashamed of being verbose (choosing the definition: given to wordiness). I was trying very hard to convey what developed my very strong feelings regarding environmental destruction and preservation without inflammatory set off points. Stupidity kills is far more succinct.

I admit I do not know the situation on Oahu. If I’m understanding your intent, there is no fishing allowed in the majority of it’s ‘dive sites’? Then your reluctance to not fish another site I understand.
And therein lays the reason I overcame my reluctance to debate, I saw it as an opportunity to learn, thank you. May I ask what you hoped for in debating Catherine’s request?

I’m sure it varies from location to location but along that line, I’ve been thinking about any encounters I’ve personally had with spearfishermen. Granted it’s a big place and even in our good visibility, they wouldn’t have to go very far away from me to disappear but I have only seen them coming or going, never hunting where I dive. Out of curiosity I’ve watched. They go out and away, no where near the ‘dive sites’ and travel in through with stringers bee lining for the shore. Obviously I being a noob, perhaps I’ve just been lucky to not feel concerned I may receive an inadvertent sharp stick in the eye.

I’d also hope you have understood my attempt to be clear, as wordy as it is, that I am stating my perspective. In no way would I interfere with your chosen undertaking. I say this as I feel a bit of hostility from your last post towards me. You choose to hunt and I respect your choice of recreation. I chose not to hunt, I would be shocked if you attempted to force me to, or belittle my choice not to. I also feel very strongly that I must give what I wish to receive.

I wish I could easily recall where I got my admittedly vague understanding of early Hawaiian history about fishing being controlled, I’ll keep looking.
“…Hawaiians fished, then it was during certain times of the year.” Does the season to hunt not reflect a common thread in US hunting in general? As in let’s not snuff Bambi’s mom when she mates, is carrying and suckling, cuz if we do there ain’t gonna be more Bambi’s, and the rutting males too focused to notice they are sitting ducks along the sidelines. This is what I meant by controlled – an attempt to continue the species vs use it up.
You may consider reading Farley Mowatt’s Sea of Slaughter. He initially was going to cover all species man has extincted (yes I made that word up) but soon overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, he just stuck to one vicinity, the North Atlantic.

I’d like to mention I’ve avoided the complaints I have with the commercial fishing industry thinking it best to stick to sport fishing as the scope of the debate. Although it along with sport fishing have their good guys and bad guys.

It appears to me Militant (as a fellow islander, may I call you by your first name?) you are a conscious hunter and have given thought to how and what you hunt.

Whirled Peas be with you,
Lisa

Wildcard I hope you know me well enough it was a good reason to scrub both tanks and I was laughing at the keyboard. And thanks for the reminder to partake, I don’t remember that particular simple pleasure often enough. My brother gave me some Anejo and cannot believe I’m still able to share a snort each Thanksgiving.
Aloha

Hey, you all, I just want to share some more love. I learned something interesting that I did not know today about the sport fishing down at Kewalo basin. I was taliking to Captain Carl (who just brought in another boat by the way) and I said "Is that a Marlin Tail?" It was hanging up to dry, And he said yes and then he told me "almost all of those fishermen down here have gone to tag and release on the marlin fishing."I guess market price is very low and it just ends up being cat food or something. He said "yea, its a shame to kill something so big and grand for so little, so they are tagged and released. " Anyway, I thought I would pass this along...

The dive on the YO257 was great today. 200 foot viz and I spent 10 minutes alone with a very nice shark and my camera before the other divers got down and he disapeared. I was literally bumping into turtles there were so many. And spotted eagle rays! Oahu rocks, I don't care what those Kona folks say....

No, Redrover, MM isn't hostile he just seems like it to us gentle souls but I think he likes the debate. I don't think he was ever going to spear on the YO257..he did facilitate a great debate and I really enjoyed your Hawaiian history commentary. Lots of interesting observations.... I think we should all continue to debate each other from time to time because its much more interesting than bashing dive operators and so on.

Catherine,

Well said. This has been most interesting and enlightening. I've thoroughly enjoyed this discussion.

-becky

Back
Top Bottom