Hanauma Bay closed due to jellyfish??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Maybe I'll run into you at Ulua while I'm there in July. I'm planning to do the OW dives with my daughter there (unless she completes her cert here in the quarries- then we'll still dive Ulua, just to see the pretty fishies..).

Speaking of Man O War, if I recall, they always had a Man O War sign at the beach entrance from the Renaissance. Are they a big problem or is the sign just an over cautious warning? I've never seen one and hope not to.. (I do wear a full suit and carry gloves just in case).

adjuster-jd:
Thanks. Maybe I'll run into you at Ulua while I'm there in July. I'm planning to do the OW dives with my daughter there (unless she completes her cert here in the quarries- then we'll still dive Ulua, just to see the pretty fishies..).

Speaking of Man O War, if I recall, they always had a Man O War sign at the beach entrance from the Renaissance. Are they a big problem or is the sign just an over cautious warning? I've never seen one and hope not to.. (I do wear a full suit and carry gloves just in case).
jd -- they post those signs everywhere -- you can find an almost identical one in front of the Mana Kai, the Wailea Elua (other side of the Mokapu/Ulua park from the Renaissance) and elsewhere.

You'll note that a bunch of the other "warnings" don't usually apply, either... like "high surf", "steep drop off", etc.

I guess if you warn people of every possible ocean hazard/condition, they can't say "you never said that 12' surf was dangerous!" :D

Mokapu and Ulua beach were completely taken away by big dangerous surf this winter and the bottom of the concrete ramps down to the ocean were steep drop offs, for the Wailea clientel at least. The sand is still 1 to 2 ft lower than last year in most places.

halemano:
Mokapu and Ulua beach were completely taken away by big dangerous surf this winter and the bottom of the concrete ramps down to the ocean were steep drop offs, for the Wailea clientel at least. The sand is still 1 to 2 ft lower than last year in most places.
Yeah, that's true -- I should have been more specific. The sign I was meaning referred to steep dropoffs *in* the water. :)

I know that storm made some weird stuff as far as it went steadily down to 4' deep (or so), then back up to 1' deep, then got deep again... that was annoying, having to deal with two shore breaks! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom