Hand Holding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david.tolan:
You should not NEED to hold hands. If she's a slower swimmer, slow down. If you swim side by side, a glance should tell you that she's where she should be.

However if what you are saying is that on the dive, you are not realising that she's falling behind.... Well that's BAD.

Another diver in our group had problems and took my wifes OCTO on a dive in the red sea a while back. Not really sure where his buddy was. Neither was he.....

Also, if she's got bouyancy problems, then you holding her hand will stop here from solving the problem.

There's no problem holding hands.

There's a BIG problem having to.
Good answer...!!

Also, if you still do it, watch whose hand you grab. I was diving as a third with my home town bud and his GF, they were holding, I felt like I was solo on safety. She turned lose of his hand to shot a pic, then reached and somehow grabbed mine - never looking. :11:

I just tapped her's with my other hand until she release. ugg

Charlie99:
You could also just have her lead the dive.

While it's OK to hold hands, that's curing the symptom of a problem rather than fixing the problem.
Agreed.

When holding hands for comfort reasons the person is in way over their head and they need to do easier dives. When it's because hubby swims too fast then hubby needs to slow down.

Recently I went diving with a husband/wife team. He went off on his own and never paid her a moments attention. She is new. After a couple of days of diving she told him she had enough and quit diving.

I don't think he needed to hold her hand, he needed to realize that it "wasn't all about him" and perhaps needs to make an effort to be a better buddy.

I agree with all those who have said "hand holding" is ok just for the sake of hand holding and the 'romance' points :wink: If it reminds you to slow down then that's great, just make sure it doesn't interfere with your basic diving skills! For obvious reasons, it's really important that you both have good buoyancy!

I don't normally hold hands while diving! However, I find it can be a definite asset when diving in high current areas. Being smaller than most of my buddies... I tend to drift faster... so holding hands keeps me close to my buddy without having to swim into the current for the entire dive!

I have heard a lot about couples diving together. I dive with my hubbie, but I don't feel like I have to have him to dive, in fact I'm going without him the next couple of weekends (he has gigs :( ) We check each other and the people around us to make sure everything is in place - air, help with shoulder straps if necessary just general politeness, but I don't think we depend on each other. Sometimes he helps with carrying if I ask, but he's really good at making me be independent.

Sometimes we hold hands - sometimes just for the niceness of it. Sometimes if the viz is bad and we want to keep each other close. Sometimes when current is ripping and we want to make sure we stay together. Sometimes just to make me feel good, because I have a great imagination and maybe that GW is just around the bend :D.

I think it is nice to have a buddy I can trust enough to hold his hand. I don't worry about him shooting up and he doesn't worry about me doing the same. I hold his hand because I trust him, not because I need to.

:)

JaX NeMo:
well, i had frens who are couples, and they hold hands while diving, in the end, they seem to be riding bicycle under water instead of diving...

Uhhh! ...seem to be riding bicycle? My minds always in :toilet but what does that mean?

pennypue:
<sniff, sniff>
That's beautiful Doug....

Thanks pennypue.....I'm gonna call her and tell her I love her right now. Now ya got me crying <sniff, sniff>

PlanoDvr1:
Thanks pennypue.....I'm gonna call her and tell her I love her right now. Now ya got me crying <sniff, sniff>

And if she doesn't appreciate you........ :wink:

Al Mialkovsky:
Recently I went diving with a husband/wife team. He went off on his own and never paid her a moments attention. She is new. After a couple of days of diving she told him she had enough and quit diving.
About 2 years ago in the Keys I went diving with a couple. He raced around like a maniac leaving his wife and me in the dust/silt. Several times I chased him down and brought him back. I figured that he had decided to sit out the 2nd dive when during the SI she told me that it would be just the two of us for the 2nd dive. Nope. It turned out that she told him to go find somebody else to buddy up with!

Although this was the most extreme case I've seen, I've seen lots of husbands "lead" dives by going however fast and what direction they pick, with never a look back, expecting their wife to trail along. Strangely, this seems to be a guy thing -- I've never seen a couple where the woman was oblivious to the guy.

The original poster's comment of "I'm a stronger swimmer and seem to get away from my buddy" is a pretty good indicator that this may be the underlying problem.

Side by side with the slower person setting the pace works a lot better. Holding hands is optional in that case. :wink:

DiveGolfSki:
Uhhh! ...seem to be riding bicycle? My minds always in :toilet but what does that mean?
That's when your leg and fin movement mimic the motions of riding a bicycle instead of straightening your legs and finning correctly.

Back
Top Bottom