Hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Need more hand signs?
In my class, what we learned was a little limited. I wanted a larger vocabulary for me and my buddy(my wife).
Think I will use this site by AMerican Sign Language.
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/Sites/aslweb/browser.htm
That is, unless someone has a better idea. There may be a more holistic set of scuba signs out there that I am unaware of.
Spencer

Sweet!
Thanks

May I suggest that you some what adhere to the KISS principle.

I was some what involved in developing the first set of underwater signals for recreational divers in the early 1950s.

You can read the entire story at www.portagequarry.com "Legends of diving"-- "Sea Sabre Signaling System." This article is excerpted from an article that was published in my column "The way we were" in the now defunct magazine Discover Diving about 20 years ago.

The Sea Sabres system was first published in 1954 as a brochure which was distributed to all known dive clubs and councils with in the US and the world. In 1955 it appeared in the defunct Water World magazine, the USN used it as a guide for their signaling system in the first USN dive manual encompassing SCUBA, NAVSHIPS 250-538dated 16 October1958.

May I suggest that you locate a copy of Water World, Discover Diving or NAVSHIPS 250-538, and use them as a starting point and as a guide.

Good Luck,

sdm

sam miller:
May I suggest that you some what adhere to the KISS principle.
I use a 3 part system ----

1. Keep it simple. You only need 15 or so signals to communicate the most common things. See the link by scuba70 above.

2. Underwater charades - Not really underwater charades, but lots of times the meaning of an impromptu ad hoc sign is quite clear because of the context. Just from the unique situation of that dive, the sign is clear.

3. If neither of the two is enough, then I break out my underwater notepad and pencil. Rarely is this needed.

Sure ASL is very useful, but it is somewhat of an overkill, and don't expect to be able to communicate with other divers using it.

You might also try this site. They're in video clip format and easy to access. Very good for the basics and a few more common signs. Some are a bit more advanced, of course (cave diving signals and such...). The clips even cover signs that employ lights for communications at night.

http://www.scubadiver.cc/handsignals/uwcommunications.htm

My partner and I (also my buddy) found the same thing with the hand signals. Too few for what we were trying to express. So we decided to take some ASL courses along with reviewing the web pages. (The one you posted is one of the best).

One of the best things about the ASL is being able to express colours along with with the fish you're trying to point out. Also, the ASL has been a wonderful compliment to our dry lives. And though it's true you won't be able to communicate in the same manner with another buddy, using ASL to communicate with you spouse has it's own nice touch!

Marswell

Guba and scuba70, thanks for the very useful links!!! Nice revision of the OWD course and not only.

Does anybody have something similar for marine life, I mean hand signals indicating specific fish? Like for example the L over the head :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom