Hanuama bay dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, feel free to contact me. I dive there every chance I get. I am also the DM that blkirk91 mentioned on previous reply.

Hi everyone!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my wife and I will be on Oahu next week and are looking to dive Sharks Cove and Hanauma. I heard that there was the old HAW-I underwater phone cable that traverses the reef at the "Cable Channel", and that this is where you want to cross from inside to outside the reef and vice versa. Which gap is this exactly? Is it the one just about smack in he center of the reef or the one at the north-east end? On Google maps it looks like both gaps are marked with white buoys, but I wanted to confirm which one the cable runs through.

Also, how far out does the cable go? Is it a good nav point to find our way back to the channel?

Final question: How much clearance is there between the surface and the bottom/reef in the channel at high and low tide? In other words, do you have to inch your way across to avoid touching the reef or could you fit a barge through the channel? (not that we'd try that). I hear that getting back in can be rough due to rip currents, but I'm going to assume that we should time the return so we reach the gap after low tide but before high tide to essentially ride the ride back in, correct?

Thanks for all responses in advance!

Nico

The channel in the center that is marked off is the best enty/exit points. Low tide clearance is wade in waist high, i am 5'5". High tide is about chest high. Until your get to the reef channel. Looking out at the bay, there will be a gap on ther left. If the waves are breaking over this area: reg in your mouth. Swim thru it, it will get deeper about 9 feet, then you are in the clear. DO CHECK IN WITH THE LIFEGUARDS: ask about the current & swells. Best diving condition here is 1-3 ft. max. The channel marked is also the exit point. Be AWARE that you will be fighting the current back into this channel on the way in. That is why I say do the dive on a calm day. Less fighting with current the better. Better diving in the morning before 10 AM, calmer water, wind is usually down & better viz. PM me when you get in town, maybe we can hook up & I show you the bay. The cable is a easy guide out & back.

Be safe,

Mike

---------- Post Merged at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Oh yeah, " how far does the cabe go? " ----- California

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom