Harness advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RebelXT

Registered
Reaction score
Currently overhauling my gear to get it DIR-ready.

I currently dive OMS IQPack with aluminum BP, STA and OMS 32lb wing. My understanding is that IQPack doesn't satisfy DIR-F class requirements since it's not a single piece harness.

1. Is it mandatory to have a harness with no releases?

2. Any opinions on OMS hog harness? They are probably all the same pretty much, so asking just in case.

thanks in advance!

Technically a one piece harness is required, some GUE instructors might still allow you to take the class in the harness you have if you asked, but it is not DIR. I don't know anything about the OMS hog harness, but you can get harness webbing cheap on the web.
EDIT - You may already know this, but make sure your wing is of the unbungied variety. I know that some OMS wings are bungied and some are not, so I just wanted to let you know.

my wing is not bungied.

I guess it's time to get one piece harness. I don't want to scare instructor to death with IQPack's quick releases and padding :wink:

RebelXT:
I guess it's time to get one piece harness. I don't want to scare instructor to death with IQPack's quick releases and padding :wink:
I haven't looked real closely at the IQPack to see how it's threaded, but you might be able to unthread the existing webbing from the backplate you have, and then rethread it with a piece of continuous piece of webbing for the class. That would only cost you a few dollars for some webbing, and allow you to use gear that you already have and are familiar with.

The only potential issue here is that you may have to cut the old webbing to get it out, which would obviously make it impossible to reuse after the class is over. I predict that will not be an issue however, since you will probably want to keep the one-piece webbing once you have tried it. :D

But you should be able to use some of hardwares (D-rings, belt buckles, and etc.). That's what I did when I first moved from my DR TransPlate to a webbing system.

Do remember that we only use one D-ring on the waist and it sits on the left side for clipping the SPG.

RebelXT:
there is no way to take and re-use existing webbing from the IQ Pack. See http://omsdive.com/backplate.html#IQ.
From the link, the item identified as an "IQ Pack" (#6) looks like a soft pack BC, without a rigid backplate. For DIR-F you will definitely need a hard metal backplate, more similar to item #4 in the supplied link. If you have questions about the specific equipment requirements for a Fundamentals course, then I suggest you check the GUE Standards and Procedures manual, on page 17. That spells out everything pretty well. Better yet, contact the course instructor directly. They will tell you everything you need to know about what equipment is suitable for the class.

Note that if I am misreading what you are referring to, then I apologize - just trying to give you the most complete advice.

IQ Pack can work as a soft pack BC, but I do have aluminum back plate "inserted" into it. However, webbing is not even threaded through the back plate. BP is there just for additional weight and rigidity, and STA is mounted to it as well.

I've just got in touch with instructor who clarified that one piece harness is a must for the class.

Can't wait until January when i'm taking DIR-F!

RebelXT:
IQ Pack can work as a soft pack BC, but I do have aluminum back plate "inserted" into it. However, webbing is not even threaded through the back plate. BP is there just for additional weight and rigidity, and STA is mounted to it as well.

I've just got in touch with instructor who clarified that one piece harness is a must for the class.

Can't wait until January when i'm taking DIR-F!

If you can pull out the BackPlate, just extract the backplate and rig a single piece harness to the plate. Leave the IQ pack alone.

You don't say where you are diving, but you may find an al plate is not what you need for best trim.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
You don't say where you are diving, but you may find an al plate is not what you need for best trim.
If so, DIR-F ought to make it abundantly clear, and provide some corrective suggestions. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom