Has anyone dove with Beaches Turk & Caicos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a place to dive in May 2013 and possibly return in September. Jan & Nov are at Scuba Club Cozumel. Want an AI with on-site dive OP that loads the boats preferably from a dock at the resort. (versus swim out to the boat or be driven to another location)

We love Sandals and Couples (in Jamaica) for the couples only thing but Sandals only has Beaches (their family resort) on T&C. It is huge and supposed to have the best diving of all the Sandal locations. Thinking we maybe we could handle the kids for one week if we are off diving alot of the time.

Has anyone been there? What can you tell me about the diving. Heard that for three months of the year they do load from the other side of the island and we don't like the idea of being driven over there by bus. If May is one of those months then this could be a deal breaker.

Also what did you think about the resort itself. It looks nice. Big with three separate villages, 16 restaurants and an amazing water park. OK that is meant for the kids but we'll have to do the lazy river and at least one water slide. :D

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Is there a specific reason you are focused on Sandals and similar places? I've stayed at Couples and Sandals before, but when mainly looking for diving they would not be high on my list.

If you are set on AI there are certainly dive resorts where you can book a package with room, meals and diving, sometimes drinks if desired, where you hop on the boat right at the resort. There will generally be few to no kids. Places that come to mind are Little Cayman Beach and Southern Cross Club on Little Cayman, Anthonys Key or Coco View on Roatan, Turneffe Island Resort in Belize, probably a few places on Utila. Pretty sure there's others I'm not thinking of. You won't get watersides/lazy rivers/16 restaurants, but there will be different sorts of attractions and you'll likely get more and better diving.

I guess I should have mentioned that this is NOT our dive vacation. We got to Cozumel 3x a year for that. This is go to an AI to be pampered and oh ya, there's diving. :D We don't expect the diving to be as good as Coz but it's there on site and free.

We've been to Roatan and not interested in the Caymans. $2185 versus $799 for the same hotel, diving & meal package. Nope can't justify that. Best way to Belize from Toronto is via Roatan which is via a puddle jump and two airport exit fees. Not interested in that. Or in a live aboard as I get motion sickness and can just deal with the short boat rides for the dives.

As I said this is go to be pampered and hey there happens to be free diving too. It seems only Sandals & Couples offers that. Been to both but would like to try T&C. Only one there is Beaches which is the family version of Sandals. Ya alot of kids but it is 5* and Sandals best diving in the whole Caribbean.

I am looking for someone who has been there. Not offer alternatives because I don't think there is anything. But thanks anyway.

Betty

The Club Med on Turks and Caicos is a legitimate alternative. The dive op there is good, but costs extra. The boats are large and cater to a variety of skill levels. The sheer number of divers requires good organization. We were there when newly certified and after well more than 100 dives around the Caribbean. For newbies diving with a DM, the dives are about 45-50 min. When my wife and I dove as buddies, we were first off and last on, with dives lasting at least an hour. There are no young kids at the CM T&C. There is also a Club Med @ Columbus Isle (island of San Salvador, Bahamas) which has a good in-house dive operation, too. Diving there also costs extra. CM Columbus Isle is heavily French speaking compared to CM T&C. There is a good chance of seeing hammerheads at Columbus Isle.

Hi Betty!
Yes, we have dived with Beaches Turks and Caicos, and the diving was great. If you are an experienced diver, they will put you with other experienced divers. They have several big Newtons that are very comfortable, the tanks are full, and the crew is great. We saw reef sharks on almost every dive. They do 2-tank dives, and they do have trips to the NW Point, French Cay and other great sites in Provo. It is way better than going to an AI with a little diving thrown in. (We have visited Sandals/Beaches 37 times, and Beaches TC has by far, the best operation and the best diving.) The things that make this "not a dive vacation" are the lack of space for gear storage, and the setup of the rinse tanks. Also, if you are a photographer, a lot of divers on the boats do not have good boat etiquette, and just drop their stuff everywhere. But we had a great time, got some great photos, and best of all - our kid was entertained and cared for while we went diving. It really is the best of both worlds! And I actually like it better than Cozumel!

Safe diving!

You did say pampered. :D All Inclusive Turks and Caicos Resort & Residences Caribbean Luxury,Restaurants,Kids Welcome,Grace Bay Beach Providenciales

But in this case I think pampered costs a lot more than Breezes...although they do have a kids club also.
Not sure about the diving - it would probably have to be with someone else nearby.

French Cay and other great sites in Provo
Do this with somebody. It's worth the 45min. boat ride. West Caicos is also good - probably about the same distance. Either is better than anything we dove around NW Point. If you don't dive with the AI operator(s) I think Caicos Adventures has a bigger stable boat.

There was also another thread here recently where someone posted that most dives from their AI - IDK which one - were off NW Point due to shorter travel distances.

Imorin: Looked at Club Med and it seems to be a meat market and yes the diving was extra. :(

Gummie22: This is the response I was looking for. Hubby & I are both AOW and Nitrox certified. Had heard that we would be with fellow advanced divers and not newbies from the resort courses. Sorry to hear that there isn't really any storage as we are bringing our own equipment and don't want to be hauling it back & forth to our room. We are making sure we get a room with a balcony (not a 1st floor walkout or balconnette) so we can dry our stuff the last day. Interesting about the photography thing. Hubby is really into that and is looking forward to be able to take pictures which is difficult in Cozumel's currents. I would think more advanced divers would have better etiquette.

DiveSteve: Yes aware of Grace Bay. Really expensive and no on-site dive shop. That is a must. We don't want to have to travel by car/van/bus to get to the boats.

Thanks everyone. I think this may be the right trip for us. If we like it alot we might even cancel our usual September reservation at Couples Negril, Jamaica and go back to T&C.

I have been to Beachs on T&C once, last year and am going back again this year. My dive shop sends a group down that is largest enough we get our own boat. I think the diving is great. I don't think the viz is as good as Coz but it is still great. I see more life in T&C than I do in Coz. Have to tell you I love both places. The night dive I took there in T&C was great! The resort is fantastic too, great food, lots of stuff to do out of the water and great staff. I would have to recommend it. Hope you enjoy!!!!

I spent a week at Beaches on Provo 6 years ago and it was a nice enough resort. I enjoyed the dives but they were not overwhelming in how great they were. I will likely never return because they were so bland. Lots of people love the diving in T&C so maybe my week was an off week......not a lot of wildlife, the reefs were less than impressive. If you can get a deal then great, but I would suggest another island (which means no Beaches) if you are stuck on T&C.

Just my $0.02

I spent a week at Beaches on Provo 6 years ago and it was a nice enough resort. I enjoyed the dives but they were not overwhelming in how great they were. I will likely never return because they were so bland. Lots of people love the diving in T&C so maybe my week was an off week......not a lot of wildlife, the reefs were less than impressive. If you can get a deal then great, but I would suggest another island (which means no Beaches) if you are stuck on T&C.

Probably has to do more with where they took you diving than what week it was - where did you dive? Probably not a fair representation of the better diving in T&C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom