Has anyone used the new Salvo rebel led?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My light worked nicely for two nights, then failed. A similar failure was reported on Yorkshire Divers. Salvo was very helpful when I spoke to them and will be pulling apart the units when they come back to solve the problem. That being said, I might end up upgrading to the 21W LED. I like the small size of the 12W for travel, the light is very neutral and bright, although not bright enough for signaling in clear daytime Caribbean waters. I'm thinking I would prefer a more traditional design, with a solid Goodman handle rigidly attached to the light head, and a separate switch on the canister. Salvo is willing to do either and I'm happy with their response. It's a new product and sometimes stuff just happens.

Sorry to hear you had problems with it so early on ... but like you said stuff happens, especially with new things. How do you think the light compares with a 10w HID ? I too am a little unsure about the elastic handle, although i dont think it is as big an issue with the new LEDs as the light heads are a lot smaller than the HIDs.

I am still trying to decide between a 10w focusable HID and the 12W LED. Diverite express have a good deal on their 10w focusable hid, and there are probably some good deals to be had on the salvo ones.

Thanks everyone for the responses, and please keep them coming.

Sorry to hear you had problems with it so early on ... but like you said stuff happens, especially with new things. How do you think the light compares with a 10w HID ? I too am a little unsure about the elastic handle, although i dont think it is as big an issue with the new LEDs as the light heads are a lot smaller than the HIDs.

I am still trying to decide between a 10w focusable HID and the 12W LED. Diverite express have a good deal on their 10w focusable hid, and there are probably some good deals to be had on the salvo ones.

Thanks everyone for the responses, and please keep them coming.

On my AOW night dive, my instructor and others had the DR 10w ff lights, I had the Salvo 10w adjustable and (not from experience) my light "looked" much brighter than theirs. I could be wrong but, to me, it looked it.

Michael

I've read a couple of reports now of the Rebel LED failing. Some saying that it just dies and won't light, and another saying that it starts flickering after it has been on for a few minutes. BUt these people also say when it is working it is an awesome light, and out performs the 10w HID. Looks reasonably positive. I might wait a little longer, as it looks like there may be some initial teething problems.

The 12W Rebel came back today, with a rigid Goodman handle(still snap-on, but nicer than the elastic). The problem was in the electronics. Service was quick and efficient.

My LDS here in NJ has them at a pretty good price, with free shipping, and unlike me you won't have to pay NJ sales tax!

Salvo Rebel 12 Watt LED with 5.2A Li-Ion Battery *Buy Salvo at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

10.105.912-2.jpg

This is excellent news. In the past I have always weighed in on the side of HID, because LED output just wasn't high enough (for the money). But this light is 750 lumens, and a 10W HID is 500, so that argument is out. And I couldn't be happier.

I hope we'll see LED lights with adjustable focus though. I use that feature a LOT on my Salvo HID. The brighter the light is, the more important it is to be able to set it to flood when you are viewing something close by--particularly if you are taking a picture, where a "hot spot" really sucks.

Using mine at night in Turks and Caicos, it was so bright that I aimed it to the side of whatever I was looking at, just using the softer edge of the beam for illumination.

Tried out my 12w rebel LED on a night dive last night. No problems with electronics yet !! .... The light was great, the dive was very low viz, and the light seemed to have good penetration. Had quite a nice bright wide beam, with a good hotspot in the middle. Very happy with the performance, beats the 10w HID, IMHO. Only gripe I have is the C clip that holds the light head. The light comes out of the clip too easily for my liking ..... Has anybody else had this problem, and found a solution to it ?

The other thing I was dubious about before diving the light was the elastic handle .. it seemed to work OK, the light head is small enough for the handle to be stable.
I probably want to give it a few more dives before I am 100% about this though .

I was in Mexico with a friend who had the new Salvo LED light, and it failed on him at the beginning of the trip -- Not a battery or flooding problem, so it appears to be the same issue a number of people are reporting with these lights. I'd personally hold off on a purchase until they get this sorted out -- Being Salvo, they will.

(I just posted this reply on another thread so I hope this isn't being too repetitive.)

I just bought the Salvo 21W/10.4amp LED over an HID because I wanted a more rugged light/bulb...although the LED's not a bulb)) for travel. It was every bit as bright and focused as a Halcyon 18W HID during DAY diving off a boat in the kelp forests at Catalina last weekend. I did not have a chance to compare it to any other light but it worked as well as could be expected during the day under the kelp. In bright daylight in open water (at our 15' stop for example) the light was washed out...but that'd be the case for any light.

I only did 3 dives so I can't comment on battery life during diving except that mine worked at 100% for the dives and turned off and on with no problem. I left the power on full. I'm not sure why you'd want to lower the power setting (except to conserve battery life if you're doing more than 4 dives in a day...the 15.6amp has a 6 hr burntime.) The light was VERY bright and penetrated to the wall when I used it to peer into overhangs and the entrance to a small cave from 10' out. Only a few dives on it but I am VERY happy thus far!

Back
Top Bottom