Hate paying airline add-on fees? This NYT article might change your mind.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why can I bring 4 3.4oz bottles of liquid in a ziplock bag, but not a 12oz bottle of water?
Because if you allowed a big water bottle, you'd have to allow several to accomodate different liquids.

Liquid explosives/chemical weapons are only effective in large amounts.

Why do I have to turn off my phone? I find it hard to believe that my phone could interfere with the navigation system on the plane...it doesn't even interfere with the GPS in my truck.
Because most planes systems are more sensitive than a GPS receiver. It's proven that cell phones can affect the older electronics; so they banned them wholesale rather than create a patchwork system of exceptions.

The rules make sense, they just don't explain them well.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 05:08 PM ----------

why the hell can't the plane take off or land if someone has their seat reclined? You think phones mess up the electronics, apparently if there is just one dang seat reclined during landing, there is risk of the plane stalling out and face planting into the earth!
No. Think about someone else for a change.

What would happen if the plane has to be evacuated? The person behind you would have a more difficult time escaping because you leaned back and compressed their space. Your comfort does not take precedence over the other person's safety.

Why do I have to turn off my phone? I find it hard to believe that my phone could interfere with the navigation system on the plane...it doesn't even interfere with the GPS in my truck.
Maybe because if your GPS fails all you are is lost...:D

Qantas_Plane_Crash.jpg

Because most planes systems are more sensitive than a GPS receiver. It's proven that cell phones can affect the older electronics; so they banned them wholesale rather than create a patchwork system of exceptions.
Interesting claim. Can you provide any scientific facts to back it up?

Airplanes do have lots of equipment. And lots of it is computerized. Sensitive? Not so much. There is nothing special about airplane electronics. Your car, the bus, the subway all have "similar" systems. Are you afraid to use your phone around them?

The real reason you have not been able to use cell phones on planes is that the FCC (not the FAA) prohibited it.

FAQ on Proposals to Expand Consumer Access to Inflight Mobile Services | FCC.gov
The FCC's current rules prohibiting use of cellphones on planes were adopted more than 20 years ago to protect against radio interference to cellphone networks on the ground. Technology that can be installed directly on an airplane is now available to prevent such interference and has already been deployed successfully in many other countries around the world without incident. This is purely a technical decision; it will, if adopted, allow airline carriers free to develop any in-flight phone usage policy they may wish, consistent with applicable rules.

Airplanes do have lots of equipment. And lots of it is computerized. Sensitive? Not so much. There is nothing special about airplane electronics. Your car, the bus, the subway all have "similar" systems. Are you afraid to use your phone around them?

The real reason you have not been able to use cell phones on planes is that the FCC (not the FAA) prohibited it.

FAQ on Proposals to Expand Consumer Access to Inflight Mobile Services | FCC.gov
The FCC's current rules prohibiting use of cellphones on planes were adopted more than 20 years ago to protect against radio interference to cellphone networks on the ground. Technology that can be installed directly on an airplane is now available to prevent such interference and has already been deployed successfully in many other countries around the world without incident. This is purely a technical decision; it will, if adopted, allow airline carriers free to develop any in-flight phone usage policy they may wish, consistent with applicable rules.
There is quite a bit special about airplane electronics. Ground vehicles are not constructed with Radar, radios, or the extensive systems that a plane has.

Second, there is evidence. I've talked to pilots, and they confirm that there can be radio interference; mainly on older planes. This was one reason they were banned back in the day. Now, technology has changed, and we can safely allow them.

There is quite a bit special about airplane electronics. Ground vehicles are not constructed with Radar, radios, or the extensive systems that a plane has.

Second, there is evidence. I've talked to pilots, and they confirm that there can be radio interference; mainly on older planes. This was one reason they were banned back in the day. Now, technology has changed, and we can safely allow them.

As I already pointed out, the cell phone ban on airplanes has nothing to do with the airlines. The FAA could care less about cell phones, because there are no issues with airplanes. The FAA has no cell phone restrictions. The FCC does.

Some background info may help.....

The "interference" referred to by the FCC is really better stated as "confusion". The early cell phone systems were not designed to handle 500 mph mega buses loaded with smart phones. They were desisgned to handle slow moving transitions from one cell to another. People walking. People in cars. A few people on a slow moving bus. Too many phones crossing too many cells in a very short period of time. OOPS. Did not design for that.

The problem still exists today in mass transit systems that incorporate a mix of above and below ground right of ways. I experience this this every day as my subway journey pops out of a tunnel for about 75 seconds with 1000 bandwidth hungry smart phones that all disappear into the next tunnel. Only to sudenly re-appear 5 minutes later 10 cell towers away. Needless to say, the cell phone system does not handle this well.

But the FCC really has no leverage to make transit riders turn off their phones. They can lean on the FAA. They did.

Your best protection is to make sure you do not live close to one of these transit areas. Your cell phone sevice will be sub par.

Yes, I can.

"The study, by CMU's Department of Engineering and Public Policy, found that the use of cell phones and other portable electronic devices can interfere with the normal operation of critical airline components, even more so than previously believed."

"Researchers concluded that such devices can disrupt the operation of cockpit instruments, including the Global Positioning System receivers that are becoming more common in helping to ensure safe landings."

""We found that the risk posed by these portable devices is higher than previously believed," researcher Bill Strauss said in a release announcing the findings."

Study: In-flight cell calls pose risk to planes

As well, it NOT factual to state that the "FAA could care less". Use of portable electronics was, in fact, banned by the Federal Aviation Administration. They did restrict cell phones. Please read below:

" (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft: (
1)
Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR. "

Portable electronic devices.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom