Have G15 - now what? Thinking about full Ikelite...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeaDLocK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I actually wanted to PM Interceptor121 with some questions, but thought that perhaps a public thread may be better so that if he replies everyone benefits and others can weigh in with their thoughts/opinions.

I apologise in advance for what is likely to be a long and rambling post!

The situation is that I have some amateur DLSR topside photography experience from the early-to-mid-2000s (mostly landscapes, published in a couple of magazines). I've dropped all that now, but I still understand the fundamentals of exposure control as it relates to topside photography.

Have about 150 dives under my belt (I live in Malaysia and dive tropical reefs in the region), and am thinking now to get into U/W photography to add another dimension to my diving. With this in mind, and with a need for a compact land camera for my travels, I bought a G15 a couple of weeks ago, thinking it would also be a good fit for U/W photography based on some initial research.

But the waters have muddied after hours of reading threads on here, and lots of conflicting opinions. Here's where I stand at the moment:

1) Macro shots are a (slightly) higher priority. I should be able to fill my frame with the bigger nudis, but if I have to crop to get good shots of pygmys, that's ok (though full frame would be nice of course!).

2) Some wide angle would be good, though I don't think I need fisheye. Not too bothered about wreck shots, which I guess means then that CFWA (classic reef and schools of fishes type pics) is what I'm aiming for.

3) Personally, I will not be satisfied with "amateur" holiday shots (flat lighting, no depth etc). I am not expecting magazine-quality photos in the early stages, but I want my gear to be able to deliver wow-factor results. If not, it will frustrate the hell out of me. I fully understand that the photographer will obviously take some time to be good enough, but the gear must allow, and not impede, that growth. Shots of an equivalent quality to those on Interceptor121's Raja Ampat album will be great and is the kind of standard I am going for.

4) My initial idea was to get the G15 (already done) and then go for a full Ikelite system, with WD-4 wide angle dome and a single DS-160 strobe. The reason for this setup is that many people advise to go for the best strobe you can afford, so I might as well get a good one, and I was interested in the Ikelite's full TTL compatibility with the G15 so I don't have to fiddle with the knobs on the strobe. I was considering a dual-strobe setup, but as a beginner I think I should start with one and possibly upgrade later.

5) My mind is still a little muddy after reading all the stuff on limitation of aperture and shutter priority modes on the G15, and why manual control is better. If it makes a difference, I have tested CHDK on my camera and it seems to be working fine, which means I can use Interceptor's script for TTL in manual mode, though why I would want to use manual is a bit beyond my understanding at this stage (topside, I almost never went manual - aperture priority with bracketing and occasional exposure compensation was sufficient).

6) Even though I have a new G15, I am prepared to jack it all in for a totally different camera setup if the G15 is a bad idea. I am not convinced that it is - I understand that every system has its limitations, but I need to pick a wise setup for my needs and budget. I'm not really keen on spending megabucks on metal housings, but am willing to spend on strobes on lenses.

That's it for now I think.

Essentially, what gear would you recommend for me that is easy for a beginner to get to grips with, is able to produce decent results, allows for flexibility in focal lengths and composition, requires little finessing and fiddling (which is why I was initially interested in Ikelite - TTL!) and doesn't cost the earth (DSLRs are completely out of the question)? I would of course prefer to stick to the G15 I just bought.

Would appreciate ANY advise from the collective - thanks for reading and replying! :)

Last edited:
I let the others chip in but just for clarity
For cfwa you really want a semi fisheye or as much field of view and depth of field you can get
And the reason to shoot ttl in manual is because the g15 like all canons does not meter correctly when the internal flash is set to ON unless you are in manual. If you let it go by itself you won't be pleased by your shots
I imagine this will be followed by a bunch of people saying they shoot aperture priority and they are happy with their shots, just have a look at them and see if you would be happy
I wouldn't, I like much more the shots I take in manual and if you compare you will see why

Thanks - at this point, after doing more reading, I'm so close to keeping the G15 as a landside camera and then buy a full RX100 Nauticam package with wet lenses as my U/W kit. For a beginner, would you recommend a single or twin strobes?

I think you need to consider more in depth as if you ditch the g15 for underwater you should do that on land too. The only plus of the g15 is a 140mm zoom which may be useful for certain type of shots other than that no significant benefit in keeping that camera
In fact the Jpeg of the rx100 are high quality and better than most advanced compacts so as casual camera it is excellent
The G15 can take a semi fisheye and do fine cfwa with two strobes but it will let you down in video and for wide angle ambient light shots of wrecks and landscapes as the inon lenses require small aperture to work

Thanks again!

Just came back from a chat with a local Nauticam dealer - prices are on offer and 20% down on what they are in the US, so I think I'm pretty much sold on a Nauticam RX100 twin-strobe kit (D1s or 240s) with WA and Macro wet lenses. The Nauticam seems to hit all the boxes for me.

I'm not sure how I will fare as a complete beginner going straight into such a setup (particularly with twin strobes), and I'm spending more than double what I thought I would when I first considered getting into U/W, but I'm a believer in doing it "right" from the very start, and I think if I buy a backup RX100 in a year or two just before it "expires", I should have a kit that will last me years of fine photography.

I'm shooting the full Ikelite housing setup, dual strobes, Just picked up the WD4 dome. I'll report back with images that Intereceptor121 can critique after my upcoming trip to Micronesia, but I've been very very happy with my corded ikelite setup with my G15. Even in Program mode or Aperture priority I get pictures that look great, I'm sure you'd agree, and you'd be happy with. Like anything it's more about learning to use the tools. If you shoot one way you may not be able to shoot well the other way until you invest the time in figuring out how to make it happen. I've gotten some really great shots just using my old G9 in program mode, and expect better out of the G15 on this trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom