Budget strobe for TG-5 + Seafrogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asanoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I am using a TG-5 with Seafrogs housing and would like to buy a general use strobe. 95%+ of what I do are photos. The housing has Sea&Sea optical only.
Now, this is a budget camera, and I do max 20 dives a year, that is when I am lucky. So at this setup, I do not want to spend more on a flash than a camera, or get to 5 USD/image.
I do some photography on air, so I know my way around flash.

No ideally, I want something which does TTL - as far as I understood it, there are two options:

- get a compatible strobe, which would understand Olympus's RC signalling - expensive
- camera flash -> activates preliminary manual flash -> camera modifies exposure -> exposition and flash - battery consuming, but cheaper, not really a TTL, but result is similar

Is my understanding correct? Are there any other options?

To make things even more complicated, I would like a general flash, usable for both macro and large animals: I am planning BDE in Egypt this year, but might go muck diving the following year and would like to manage with one flash.

Ideally, I would like to pay max the same I paid for my Godox V860, which is a professional grade flash (unfortunately does not work under water :D ). Optical cable and mount are extra.
Now this seems a bit unrealistic, I am willing to buy used, but not keen on, as this is both electro AND underwater, so let's say my price limit is YS-03, which costs 250 € here.

I am based in central Europe.

Could you please make some recommendations for me?

Thank you!

Buy used. There's always some for sale either here in the classifieds or on waterpixels.

AOI UCS-Q1RC

Should work for what you want.

Thank you, but the model you mention costs 430 €. This is 70 % over the YS-03 (which I refuse now, as I learned it is TTL only, and I think it is better to go M only than TTL only and definitely better to go M only than cheap TTL only).

Thank you, but the model you mention costs 430 €. This is 70 % over the YS-03 (which I refuse now, as I learned it is TTL only, and I think it is better to go M only than TTL only and definitely better to go M only than cheap TTL only).
oh, it's less in the states ($365 USD). It also does do manual. It's a far better strobe than a YS-03 and I would argue the YS-01 for the use case you described in your OP. Plus if you get into macro (and should with the TG) it has a decent inexpensive snoot.

The manual, that shows it does manual

I don't have the RC version, just the manual only and do have the first gens YS-03's and YS-01's, and Oly UFL3's, and some old YS27DX (decent manual strobe actually, some YS-D1's, some YS-D2's, some MF-02's, some DS-125's (Ikelite). Anyhow, just my thoughts based on playing with too many of them. (it's a hobby)
1000014264.jpg

To my knowledge ufl 2 is only fully RC compatible strobe and has been long discontinued. I recommend you to go for a used Inon. Check Kleinanzeigen in Germany for secondhand, I am sure no one minds to ship to CZ as long as you pay the shipping.

To my knowledge ufl 2 is only fully RC compatible strobe and has been long discontinued. I recommend you to go for a used Inon. Check Kleinanzeigen in Germany for secondhand, I am sure no one minds to ship to CZ as long as you pay the shipping.
The AOI UCS-Q1RC, OLY UFL3, New Marelux Strobe, Ikelite's with their RC dongle, YS-D3 Duo, MF-2 are all on market and do RC. I may have missed others, that is just off top of head

The AOI UCS-Q1RC, OLY UFL3, New Marelux Strobe, Ikelite's with their RC dongle, YS-D3 Duo, MF-2 are all on market and do RC. I may have missed others, that is just off top of head
Do they sync in say 1/2000?

Do they sync in say 1/2000?
Any strobe can sync at any speed; the sync speed limitations are on the camera side. That said, at 1/2000s, most of the strobe's power will be cut off by the camera shutter, as typical strobes need at least 2-3ms for a full dump.

Any strobe can sync at any speed; the sync speed limitations are on the camera side. That said, at 1/2000s, most of the strobe's power will be cut off by the camera shutter, as typical strobes need at least 2-3ms for a full dump.
I am talking about Olympus slr/mirrorless specifically. In order to sync high speed shutter, you need both camera and strobe supporting same rc protocol, in the case of Oly, it’s UFL-2. I think there were newer models “supporting” rc mode but not being able to sync in high speeds. The way I see is only advantage of rc is to sync in high speeds, take that out, in my view it does not support rc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom