Question Help Me Spend my Money on New Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One aspect for the selection of the right strobes is also the sensor size: the bigger the sensor, the more output the strobe has to deliver for WA photos. Hence, for OM-1 and TG-6 the strobe with the highest output power (HF-1) may not be necessarily required (but the HF-1 are tempting and one cannot have too much power. It is always possible to reduce the output level).
When I was using MFT cameras (EM5II and EM1II), YS-D2 and Z-330 was o.k. for WA with fisheye lenses (Zuiko 8mm, Canon 8-15mm and Tokina 10-17mm), but I would not have liked to have weaker strobes for that (e.g. D200). Now I am using a FF camera (Sony A7R5) and see myself using the Z-330s most of the time in full power strength, when making WA photos (and not so seldom would like to have more flash light available)...

It seems to me that the DS125 are very good strobes, with respect to built quality, but also when one considers output power and light quality (but I never had these strobes). Output power comes close to bigger ones, e.g. YS-D3II or Z-330...

In case your DS125 are still in a good shape, why not invest few hundreds of $$$ and continue to use them for WA?

When buying new ones, I only would consider strobes with an output power at least as strong as the DS125 when using OM-1 with a 180° fisheye lens. Here is a list of strobes. ordered according to maximum output, that I had in consideration some time ago (I added now DS125, Marelux and HF-1 also; according to Marelux, the Apollo III is now shipping (my local dealer, Panocean in Germany lists them as in stock)). In addition to max. power consumption, one has to consider the color temperature also, as the filters used to warm up the light will reduce the output power (I am not sure that the HF-1 has so much more power compared to e.g. DS 230 or Seacam 160, that have by their own warm color temperatures):

1713947819873.png

In addition to two strobes with higher output (either refurbished D125 or new ones), one could acquire one or two small strobes for macro and TG-6. My choice would be one or two MF-2 with one snoot (I have one MF-2 with snoot for macro and this is a great toy :) ) ...

Wolfgang

Attachments

• 1713947118004.png
    1713947118004.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 27
I was on a boat with a couple of folks using prerelease HF-1s in January. Their ability to repetitively fire was very impressive, and not needing separate video lights, plus red light, plus 21700s—I think they’re likely to be as much a step forward as the MF1/2, and for a good price.

I honestly don't think the S220's are going to be enough light for you. My Ys-110a's were GN22 like the S220's.

I shoot APS-C, so a bigger sensor than M43, but I still needed more light when shooting WA.

One aspect for the selection of the right strobes is also the sensor size: the bigger the sensor, the more output the strobe has to deliver for WA photos. Hence, for OM-1 and TG-6 the strobe with the highest output power (HF-1) may not be necessarily required (but the HF-1 are tempting and one cannot have too much power. It is always possible to reduce the output level).
When I was using MFT cameras (EM5II and EM1II), YS-D2 and Z-330 was o.k. for WA with fisheye lenses (Zuiko 8mm, Canon 8-15mm and Tokina 10-17mm), but I would not have liked to have weaker strobes for that (e.g. D200). Now I am using a FF camera (Sony A7R5) and see myself using the Z-330s most of the time in full power strength, when making WA photos (and not so seldom would like to have more flash light available)...

It seems to me that the DS125 are very good strobes, with respect to built quality, but also when one considers output power and light quality (but I never had these strobes). Output power comes close to bigger ones, e.g. YS-D3II or Z-330...

In case your DS125 are still in a good shape, why not invest few hundreds of $$$ and continue to use them for WA?

When buying new ones, I only would consider strobes with an output power at least as strong as the DS125 when using OM-1 with a 180° fisheye lens. Here is a list of strobes. ordered according to maximum output, that I had in consideration some time ago (I added now DS125, Marelux and HF-1 also; according to Marelux, the Apollo III is now shipping (my local dealer, Panocean in Germany lists them as in stock)). In addition to max. power consumption, one has to consider the color temperature also, as the filters used to warm up the light will reduce the output power (I am not sure that the HF-1 has so much more power compared to e.g. DS 230 or Seacam 160, that have by their own warm color temperatures):

View attachment 838057

In addition to two strobes with higher output (either refurbished D125 or new ones), one could acquire one or two small strobes for macro and TG-6. My choice would be one or two MF-2 with one snoot (I have one MF-2 with snoot for macro and this is a great toy :) ) ...

Wolfgang
I’d considered the Marelux line, but I’m hesitant as for roughly the same size/weight/cost as the HF-1, they seem to have lower performance for both the flash and the target light (based on published specs for both flashes). Yet they still require a specialized battery, opposed to AAs. Also, not sure if they do service/repair work in the US?

Another key consideration for how I build out my rigs is as much uniformity as reasonably possible; going with the Backscatter setup allows me to share batteries among the HF and MF strobes (so if if a charger and/or battery fails, I have backups and options, versus a strobe being out of action for a trip), and Backscatter just confirmed via an email correspondence I have with them that the HF and MF operate the same in terms of controls which is a huge bonus for me; I don’t have to mentally switch gears when changing up strobes. If I went with Marelux, I’d have to still find another brand of strobe for the TG-6, as it looks like they won’t be releasing a mini strobe any time soon.

As far as why I don’t keep the DS125s in use, thats a good question with a few answers: I’d have to pay about $150 for another optical adapter (only have one working one), and I’d also want to spend ~$80 on new wall chargers for the batteries; I’m using the older generation of chargers that are massive and very travel non-friendly, the newer ones are much smaller ‘wall warts’. And that still leaves the TG-6 needing a strobe. And as rmorgan pointed out, the recycle time on the HF-1s is a huge step forward, and would let me take advantage of the high shooting speed of the OM-1. On top of all that, it wouldn’t surprise me if the HF-1 stickers for around $1.2k post pre-order, so getting in on the lower cost now has it’s advantages (and of course, it’s risks).

I honestly don't think the S220's are going to be enough light for you. My Ys-110a's were GN22 like the S220's.

I shoot APS-C, so a bigger sensor than M43, but I still needed more light when shooting WA.
Appreciate this input! And yeah, thinking more on it, traveling with bigger, heaver strobes is always a PITA, but when considering the S220 would still require me to bring a separate dive light with it’s own batteries/charger, the weight and space savings benefits start to narrow sharply.

Update: Decision Made!

I decided to hedge a bit, and went with a single MF2 for the TG-6, and (for now) a single HF-1 for the OM-1. A few reasons, in case anyone cares:
-Hedges a bit of the early adopter risk of the HF-1 (but admittedly forgoes some of the ‘reward’ of the pre-order cost savings)
-Kept the budget more in line with what I was thinking when first exploring going with a trio of S220s.
-The HF-1 with the wide diffuser (of which I ordered the three pack with the different color temps) seems powerful enough to light up mid-sized CFWA scenes with one strobe, so in terms of total lighting power, I’m confident that it will get the job done as a single strobe. (Dual strobes of course open up way more possibilities for lighting a
-The trip coming up will be only my second with my OM-1, and having only one strobe lets me focus more on the finer points of getting the camera and flash (and operator..) to work in harmony, especially with TTL.
-If I really feel like playing with dual strobes, I can always steal the MF2 from my wife for a dive or two :)

Plan is still to go with a dual strobe setup next year (eyeing up Blue Water Photos Sea of Cortez trip).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom