Strobe power/position question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

Alexkon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am quite a beginner/beginner+ in uw photography… just recently I started to use TG-6 plus 2 strobes - DS-51 and YS-D2. Camera is set to automatic uw wide angle mode and internal flash to “fill in”, both strobes set to TTL. Along with quite decent photos, I sometimes get like those in the attachment. Too bright. Is it because of too much strobe power? But both strobes are set to TTL. Or strobe position? But with the same position I get also quite good shots…
Can someone help?
One more detail - DS-51 is currently without a diffuser (old one broken, new one didn’t arrive yet).
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8ACDF65B-7855-4BFB-9B80-B6CAADDC0F27.jpeg
    8ACDF65B-7855-4BFB-9B80-B6CAADDC0F27.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 62
  • F62BC7E1-B640-4FA6-B8B3-75946205CF87.jpeg
    F62BC7E1-B640-4FA6-B8B3-75946205CF87.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 06A896C9-F869-48D6-AF0E-5F27C59852CA.jpeg
    06A896C9-F869-48D6-AF0E-5F27C59852CA.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 59
There's quite a bit to unwind here...

First off, there are good articles online about strobe positioning, I'd definitely read them, if you haven't already.

I've never used two different models. It looks like the left one is too bright, which strobe is that? There are different technologies for TTL, they aren't all equal. I'm not familiar with your camera and whether the strobes are TTL compatible or not. For example, my Sea & Sea housing has a TTL adapter, and it has settings for specific strobe models related to TTL and a separate mode for using them in manual mode.

If I were you, I'd isolate one strobe. Use the YSD2 on dive and the DS51 on another so you can focus on solving one strobe at a time. Based on what you find, adapt from there. You could also consider just shooting manual if you can't get them to play nicely with your camera's TTL functionality.

There's quite a bit to unwind here...

First off, there are good articles online about strobe positioning, I'd definitely read them, if you haven't already.

I've never used two different models. It looks like the left one is too bright, which strobe is that? There are different technologies for TTL, they aren't all equal. I'm not familiar with your camera and whether the strobes are TTL compatible or not. For example, my Sea & Sea housing has a TTL adapter, and it has settings for specific strobe models related to TTL and a separate mode for using them in manual mode.

If I were you, I'd isolate one strobe. Use the YSD2 on dive and the DS51 on another so you can focus on solving one strobe at a time. Based on what you find, adapt from there. You could also consider just shooting manual if you can't get them to play nicely with your camera's TTL functionality.
Thanks. The left one is a one without diffuser…

Back
Top Bottom