Strobe for TG-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADSLubec

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just purchased a TG-6 with a PT-059 housing for an upcoming trip to Bonaire. I have not been doing UW photography for years. Yes I still have old Nikonos Vs hanging around, along with a few camera trays. For a short time I used a Canon G9. Anyway I have a few older strobes hanging around and was wondering if my old Sea & Sea YS-27DX would work well with the TG-6. I would think all I needed would be a fiber optic cable. Am I correct or should I just go buy a new strobe?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I just purchased a TG-6 with a PT-059 housing for an upcoming trip to Bonaire. I have not been doing UW photography for years. Yes I still have old Nikonos Vs hanging around, along with a few camera trays. For a short time I used a Canon G9. Anyway I have a few older strobes hanging around and was wondering if my old Sea & Sea YS-27DX would work well with the TG-6. I would think all I needed would be a fiber optic cable. Am I correct or should I just go buy a new strobe?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
That should work. If your are looking for a new strobe for the TG-6, the Backscatter Mini Flash 2 is an excellent addition for the TG-6. The first addition (MF-1) was manual mode only, this second addition supports Automatic TTL For the TG-6.

I used the MF-1s with great results on the TG-6 and still use them for macro with my D850. Olympus TTL support on the MF-2 is a great addition if you want a more automated flat control experience.

That should work. If your are looking for a new strobe for the TG-6, the Backscatter Mini Flash 2 is an excellent addition for the TG-6. The first addition (MF-1) was manual mode only, this second addition supports Automatic TTL For the TG-6.

I used the MF-1s with great results on the TG-6 and still use them for macro with my D850. Olympus TTL support on the MF-2 is a great addition if you want a more automated flat control experience.
I've looked at the MF-2 and it's what I'd go with if the results with the YS-27DX aren't up to par.

If you want to do anything other than macro I would look into other options. Especially if you think you may contemplate getting into a larger format camera.

If you want to do anything other than macro I would look into other options. Especially if you think you may contemplate getting into a larger format camera.
Macro has always been my preferred photography choice.

The only thing to consider is that flashes go on whilst cameras and houses and sometimes lenses don't.
I have used a sea and sea manual flash and OK but you get more output plus TTL is getting better and a decent flash will allow you to go there ie the MF2 Head is suggesting.

Plus one for the MF2s. Great size to power, perfect for macro on this camera/housing; especially traveling.

I am into macro and I second the MF-2 choice as well. I own an MF-1 as I don't mind shooting in manual mode and I am very happy with it. I used it with the TG6 and now with an OM-1. If you are into macro you might also want to consider the optical snoot that comes with the MF-2 as an optional accessory. It really adds some flavor to your photography when you need a distinct separation between the subject and the background.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom