Have you taken a hit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not taken a DCS hit and the only one known to me was a case of "skin bends" (rash) at the site of a six month old injury that happened to one of the dive instructors wives. BTW, apparently she hadn't done anything wrong except being on a live-aboard and push the computer somewhat.

Most of the deep divers that I dive with plan dives with way more gas than they need, so we have air to do proper ascents and long safety stops even if a bad situation happens underneath the water. We also dive computers such that we spend as long as possible in the 15- 30 ft. range (sometimes twenty to thirty minutes) prior to our safety stop at 15-20 ft. rather than make straight ascents with only one safety stop to the surface. Also, most of the divers that I dive with dive Nitrox which gives a little better safety margins *if used with training and little common sense*.

Despite these precautions, I am aware that it could happen to me or anyone else at any given time. Decompression is theory and many experts in it will tell you that DCS is a statistical probabilty. One even wears a button that says "Stuff happens" (I paraphrased that as this a family board!).

two had obvious contributing factors, and one I still shake my head about.

First case is the dumbfounding one. Newly certified diver, male 27, just out of Marine Corps and in very good physical condition. A single 60ft dive for 30 minutes with a 3 minute safety stop at 15ft. No rapid ascents. Nothing unusual. Within 40 minutes of surfacing he experienced numbness and tingling of the extremities. Symptoms subsided with oxygen therapy, and reappeared when removed from oxygen for a short time. Diagnosed as type I DCS, and patient was referred for further evaluation. Fully resolved after chamber ride.

Second case was a dive instructor, male 25, good physical condition. Bent after a 60ft dive for 30 minutes which followed a dive in which he bounced repeatedly between 110ft and 50ft. He was seriously dehydrated, and had spent most nights the preceding week out late with friends who were visiting the island. Diagnosed as type I DCS. Fully resolved with chamber treatment.

Third case was an experienced diver, male 82 (Yup 82! Hope I'm still diving then!), bent after a two dive series: 100ft dive for 20 minutes plus a 3 minute safety stop followed by a 60ft dive for 35 minutes plus a 3 minute safety stop. The previous day he had a rapid ascent from 70ft to the surface when a weight pouch fell out of his BCD. Patient had major neurological weakness with inability to stand or speak with sudden onset. He walked off the boat, took about 30 steps and collapsed. Diagnosed as type II DCS. Fully resolved with chamber treatment.

I've responded to various other situations which proved not to be DCI. Treat them all the same - first aid with oxygen and activate EMS to get them to the hospital for evaluation.

way sometimes. I do around 600 dives per year...full time instructor/guide...usually 2~3/day, once in a while as many as 6. Sometimes when I'm on a beach teaching OW class, and my divers want a long surface interval/rest/lunch/nap or whatever, and I've had enough of the sun, I'll go down to about 5m/15' and very nearly fall asleep, just lying on the sand (just fin pivot, close my eyes & relax...as long as I feel the tip of my fins on the bottom, I know I'm not floating away.)

There have been several mentions of undeserved hits. Have any of these divers been tested for a PFO (type of hole in the heart), which lets bubble pass betwewn the side of the heart? About 1 in 4 people have them. 2 divers I know who have had DCI (Type 2 and skin bends) diving well within tables have turned out to have a PFO. Of course, the PFO may still not have been the reason for the DCI.

Adrian

http://www.cambrianfoundation.org/foundation/library/news/v2i1/page6.html

Back when I first started diving, I'm prety sure I had some sub-clinical DCS 'hits'. Slight headaches sometimes and being more tired than I should have been after a dive. Then I read that it can be from coming up too fast from the safety stop. It hasn't happened since I started surfacing VERY SLOWLY from the safety stop (or my last deco stop nowadays).

Taking a LONG time from the 15 fsw stop to the surface makes a huge difference for me. I felt great after my last deep dive (trimix@246 fsw with prety strong curents). Much better than I used to after 'easy' recreational openwater dives to 60-80 fsw but coming up too fast after the safety stop anyway...

Back
Top Bottom