Hawaii or Bonaire...HELP PLEASE.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to Bonaire, mostly because Hawaii keeps surprising me in the pelagics department. What has yet to be mentioned is the abundant shore diving offshore of Kona. You could spend 3-4 days diving from a boat with your friends, then give them their couple time and split off to go shore diving on your own. I can recommend the following dives: 3 tank long range with Kona Diving Company (I swear they have a nose for whale sharks), blackwater, and of course the manta dive.

Bonaire..Bonaire..Bonaire! Like (Bob)NWGFdiver I have been 4 times and will be going again!

Dont sign up for any boat dives..
That sucks that it is AI..the beauty of BON is that you can do your own thing. Lots of great places to eat and hang out. I would not want to be tied to a resort by any means!

I can recommend the following dives: 3 tank long range with Kona Diving Company (I swear they have a nose for whale sharks), blackwater, and of course the manta dive.

A former student and current friend (Billy) DM's for Kona Diving Company ... someday I gotta get over there and have him show me those things ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DiveMaven - thanks for the pictures of Bonaire. We are scheduled to go November 24 for a week. We are traveling with a group from one of our LDS. We are so looking forward to it and your pictures really whetted the appetite.

It is an all inclusive with boat dives. We may do a couple, just depends. I am a new diver, my husband has more experience. I will be taking some time for photography of the island. Looks like I can get some great photos!

Having done both - do what Bob (NWGD) suggested in his first post.

You will enjoy either opportunity.

I've dived both places and you can pack a lot of shore dives into Bonaire. I like the lushness of the underwater life, the joy of diving at your own pace. Skip the boat dives, get a rental truck and dive your own schedule

If you decide to go to Hawaii, I'd choose the Big Island. Lots of topside stuff to keep the non-divers happy. As others have said, the underwater structure is mainly boring, colorless hard corals with tropical fish but you do have a much greater chance to see larger pelagics. If you go do not miss the manta night dive. For the non-divers, they can snorkel the manta dive with a number of operators and get a very good show looking down than rather than up.

Have been to both locations, Bonaire had very good Caribbean diving, not a lot of structure, mainly sloping reef diving but lots of fish. That said, we go to Hawaii a couple of times per year but don't dive there any longer, in the Caribbean I'd rather go to Cozumel.

Been to both places. My husband and I love going to Bonaire. He used to choose Hawaii for his getaway shore diving place. Until we went to Bonaire. That is our ultimate getaway. It's just a laid back, dive all day and night, wonderful place to be.
Last time, we rented a small house from a rental-by-owner online. Spent two weeks and my parents came to enjoy the island the second week (non-divers). Couldn't have had a nicer time. I've been places with better diving but not better shore diving and I simply love the laid back, island time.
Kona is nice but the last time we dived there it seemed like the reef had been damaged. Definitely not as healthy as 10-12 years ago and not nearly as much life. Maybe it was just the difference of having more dive experience in different places. The manta night dive and whales (winter) are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom