HC3 better than FX7 in day light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi , I don't know about you guys but I like to watch "SURVIVORMAN" and at this time Les came out with new episodes where he uses this season HD camcorders, 2 FX7"s as fix camcorders and a HC3 as a portable. Now the big surprise, there is no difference in picture quality and IMO some times HC3 segments look better.
So, can this be real underwater too? .
Paul

If the HC-3 produces results like my HC-7, I'll go with the FX7 any day.

I don't have any experience with the HC3. Reviews have stated it's low light capabilities as being mediocre.

The FX7 does very well underwater. It has good low light capabilities and has very good range in color and lighting. Well lit topside scenes can make many cameras look good. Underwater is much more difficult....shadows, light and dark areas in the same frame, changing light conditions as the camera is recording, etc.. It's these more difficult conditions that the manual controls and 3 chips of the FX7 will shine over the auto controls and 1 chip of the HC3.

If you haven't already seen my recent post of Roatan videos, click the link in my signature to see how the FX7 performs underwater. The swimthroughs video in particular had difficult lighting conditions and the FX7 handled them very well. Skip the youtube version if you want to see details and evaluate the FX7. The resolution is too low. Go to the Divx stage 6 version.

I am very happy with my Sony HC3 - so happy in fact that I've just bought a second one for my topside camera. (Don't like taking camera out of housing once it's been placed inside in an AC room).

The exposure control on the touch screen is great as are the rest of the controls, including WB (in an IkeLite housing). With the manual exposure control - low lite conditions haven't been a problem.

Actually, researching before purchasing the HC3, the HC3 seemed to get better reviews than the HC5 or HC7. I'm always a little behind the curve. Purchased my HC3 when the HC7 came out. More in my budget.

NAIBDiver1

Now the big surprise, there is no difference in picture quality and IMO some times HC3 segments look better.
I think that realistically before you can make any judgements on picture quality you'd have to know how much post-processing the footage from each camera went through during editing prior to the show airing.

I've gotta go with Ron, the FX7 should have noticeably better quality.

Judging from reviews on camcorderinfo.com, the HC3 might in fact have better perceived quality than the HC7 in low light situations. Due to the fact that Sony had to cram 1.1MB more imaging sensors in the same size CMOS chip so there's some indication that they're too close together and generate more noise which is more apparent in low-light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom