HC7 with TopDawg II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use essentially the same set-up. As Steve said, the manual WB can't be accessed currently by the Top Dawgs. IMHO the HC-7 does not do a very good job of auto WB.

Out of interest, have you experimented with the theory (put forward by some) that the camera essentially does a white-balance when you power it up?

If this theory is correct, then if you power down the cam at depth, then power it up pointing at the WB slate, you might be able to approximate manual WB.

Don't see why not but I think it'll pan backwards the way Ikelite's do.
BTW - new Ikelite's do NOT pan backwards anymore, they have a reverse circuitry that reverses the image back to normal. I have it on my rig and love it.

Haven't tried that, but will next weekend.

One of the several issues I have with the HC-7 is the often very slow response to the record button. I've had it take up to 8 seconds between the time I press record and the camera starts recording. Have lost a number of "quick response" shots because of that.

Powering it off only adds to the potential start up time before I can record. Of course if I only power down and up at each change in depth, that might work.

Did my first shark dive with the camera yesterday. Managed to get some fairly good sequences of makos (we were in the upper 30 ft of the water column... over about an 1,600 ft bottom) of both the sharks and the macroplankton.

Haven't tried that, but will next weekend.

One of the several issues I have with the HC-7 is the often very slow response to the record button. I've had it take up to 8 seconds between the time I press record and the camera starts recording. Have lost a number of "quick response" shots because of that.

I get the same 8 second delay on the FX1, so you are not alone.
If you dont care about coherent "Timecode" then on my FX1 there is supposed to be a "Quick record" option that sacrifices potential timecode consistenct to avoid the 8 second penalty.

Not sure if the 8 second thing is a sony issue or related to the HDV-specific large GOP.

Not sure if your HC0-7 has the quick record option or not. However, consistent timecode may be essential for your editing needs ...

BTW - new Ikelite's do NOT pan backwards anymore, they have a reverse circuitry that reverses the image back to normal. I have it on my rig and love it.
Just the more recent "new" models. And "new" JVC/Canon models (HD7/HV20) still say: Actual image will be reversed when viewed through the mirror. In fact all the Canon/JVC models don't appear to have the reversing circuitry.

And about 1/2 of the currently listed (mostly older) Sony Ikelite models don't mention it.

All the "new" Sony HDR or DSR models do so I've altered my other post.

Although it appears that yours is special since they don't list it for non-HD HC series or any of the DVD series cameras.

So I guess we're both right :)

Not sure if your HC0-7 has the quick record option or not. However, consistent timecode may be essential for your editing needs ...

Yes - the HC-7 has this option. I currently have this turned on and it is much better then before as without it it can take several seconds to start recording.

:D
Just the more recent "new" models. And "new" JVC/Canon models (HD7/HV20) still say: Actual image will be reversed when viewed through the mirror. In fact all the Canon/JVC models don't appear to have the reversing circuitry.

And about 1/2 of the currently listed (mostly older) Sony Ikelite models don't mention it.

All the "new" Sony HDR or DSR models do so I've altered my other post.

Although it appears that yours is special since they don't list it for non-HD HC series or any of the DVD series cameras.

So I guess we're both right :)
Actually, any camcorder with the LANC plug can have the reverse circuitry added - which is what I did. I asked Ike about it and he had me send him my housing to install it for free. What a guy. I am sure that it is available for any older housings too if you have the LANC plug. All the HD housings they now make have it already installed. Since he was discussing an HC-7 it was obvious that it would have that feature... so I was correcting you. :blinking:

robint

Thanks Limeyx and ScubaBob92651. I'll try using that feature. Timecode isn't essential to me since I shoot a single camera, and even when there is a second videographer involved, precise timing is not important for what I do.

And next time I'll remember to put the camera in manual focus at infinity so I don't get the seek issue as the sharks swim away. With the current and a new rig yesterday, it was all I could do to remember to hang onto the drop line and shoot!

Thanks Limeyx and ScubaBob92651. I'll try using that feature. Timecode isn't essential to me since I shoot a single camera, and even when there is a second videographer involved, precise timing is not important for what I do.

And next time I'll remember to put the camera in manual focus at infinity so I don't get the seek issue as the sharks swim away. With the current and a new rig yesterday, it was all I could do to remember to hang onto the drop line and shoot!

Will be interested in how it works out as I am potentially looking at a smaller "travel cam" at some point to avoid pulling my joints out of my sockets with the FX1

Since he was discussing an HC-7 it was obvious that it would have that feature... so I was correcting you. :blinking:

robint
But the OP already has a TopDawg so it's irrelevant that the Ikelite HC7 housing provides that.

And the point being made was that in the OP's case with the mirror installed in his TopDawg housing it WILL pan backwards.

I could debate semantics all day with you but it's not doing the OP any good so you have the last word if desired...

Back
Top Bottom