HD Video Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ525

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I'm looking to get into underwater video and was looking for some advice. Since I'm starting out I would want something priced at a "starter" level. I looked at the new JCV PICSIO and Ikelite housing but not happy with the reviews I've seen about the camera. Anyone have advice on a good "entry level" video camera system?

Thanks!

thread moved...

Hi Russ. "Entry Level" is a VERY Broad term. Entry level for some is the Picsio, however for several others entry level is a Canon or Sony in a Gates or Light and Motion housing. To start, what is a realistic working budget for you? What are you goals for the system? How often do you dive??

These questions will better allow us to guide you. Thank you and I look forward to helping you out.

Might also consider the Flip Ultra HD in the Ikelite housing. Ikelite has some sample video shot with both on their website. Most seem to be using their video light also. IKELITE Underwater Systems - video gallery

Entry level around $1000 I'd look at the Canon HF-M300 and their WP-V2 housing. My buddy has the prior version (HF200/WP-V1) and shot some good video last week in the Caribbean - would've been better with a red filter though - the Canon underwater mode just couldn't cut it, everything is too light blue.

Although the controls are limited in the housing, there's enough to work with. B&H has both and they ship internationally. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=wp-v2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Here's a referral for Mike L. also, he's my dealer. I've been very happy with the gear he recommended.

Last edited:
I've used both the Flip and the Piscio. To be honest, everyone has their reasons why they prefer one over the other. Even me, depending on what mood I'm in when I write reviews of what I like/don't like about them, you'll think I contradict myself often.

The fact is, I like the Flip for some reasons (especially day time video), but really like the Picsio, especially for night videos, clarity, macro mode, etc. Depending on what you want out of the recorder, neither may be what you're looking for. Or if you have no specific objectives, I think you'd be fine with the picsio (just realize it's a video camera first, not a still photo camera).

I wasn't dissappointed with either. They both produce fine video. I'm sure after I upgrade to my $1,200 camera + $2,600 housing + $2,300 lights come Christmas time, I'll find something to complain about but that doesn't mean I wont' be taking superb video. These "entry level" sub $300 HD cameras do just fine and are getting better with each new market offering.

Back
Top Bottom