HDV and Adobe Premiere Elements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scorch

Registered
Reaction score
I am attempting to edit my first HDV captured video from Roatan using Adobe Premiere Elements. I was able to capture all the clips and create the DVD. However when I export and burn the DVD the quality is awful. I'm lucky if I can get my DVD player to even play the export.

Does anyone have any advice on the best approach to create a DVD from HDV footage using Adobe Premiere?

I have tried the following:

1. Export to NTSC Dolby Standard (won't even play)
2. Export to NTSC Dobly Widescreen (plays, but choppy, awful quality)
3. Export as NTSC MPEG (lose all the DVD functionality)

I am importing the video using 1080i project settings. The video looks great in the program.

Am I missing a conversion step? Something obvious? Better tool?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

According to Adobe's website you receive better SD quality from HD video when you change the settings on the camera to capture the video in SD format. I'll give this a try and see what kind of exports I receive.

This is rather distressing to hear since I recently upgraded from mini-DV to HD and am looking to buy Adobe Premiere Elements to capture and do some simple editing of it. I hope someone has an answer for you as I've used Premiere for 5-6 years and don't particularly want to switch to another editing software if I don't have to.

I have the same program and i'll try it on my HP. Just put some shots I did last week with my new HD. Im also working with a MAC but still trying to learn the dame computer......Mark

Well I did as Adobe recommends and captured the video in DV format rather than HDV since I will be reproducing for SD playback. I must say the quality is much better after exporting than was the HDV captured video. So until the codec Adobe uses to convert HDV video gets better I would say...

If you are going to edit and playback in HD format obviously capture in HDV.
If you are going to edit and playback in SD format, have the camera perform the conversion and capture in DV format.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom