Headache after diving?? WTF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think others may have mentioned it, but I would say mask strap as a possible issue, or constriction of your eyes (squeeze) due to not equalizing your mask might be another one. Pressure on your eyes can cause intense headaches after a while.

One question not asked or answered yet: Do you smoke?

I had a student a while back who surfaced with bad headaches especially in higher altitudes. Through talking to him and consulting dive-MDs, we deduced that his chain smoking combined with being overweight and out of shape was causing CO2 Retention Headaches!

Personally, my breathing pattern is someting like 4 second inhale - 2 second pause - 5/6 second exhale. Start off trying to count your average breathe cycle and build from there. Getting control of your breathing will not only stop your headaches, but also help to hone your buoyancy.

"consider your lungs exhaust air like a car exhaust"
Except that the exhaust that comes from the car, or a badly filtered air compressor, is CO, carbon monoxide, and our lungs exhaust CO2, carbon dioxide.
If I'm doing multiple dives I use a camelback strapped to my tank. Keeps me hydrated and avoids cottonmouth. Wait on that until you have some more dives, though. You don't want to get task overload.

One question not asked or answered yet: Do you smoke?

I had a student a while back who surfaced with bad headaches especially in higher altitudes. Through talking to him and consulting dive-MDs, we deduced that his chain smoking combined with being overweight and out of shape was causing CO2 Retention Headaches!

I did mention this earlier. I used to be a smoker :(...and I am sure that it contributes to fatigue and headaches.

"consider your lungs exhaust air like a car exhaust"
Except that the exhaust that comes from the car, or a badly filtered air compressor, is CO, carbon monoxide, and our lungs exhaust CO2, carbon dioxide.
If I'm doing multiple dives I use a camelback strapped to my tank. Keeps me hydrated and avoids cottonmouth. Wait on that until you have some more dives, though. You don't want to get task overload.

If cars only emitted CO then Algore wouldn't be able to rant about them now, would he? :wink:

CO comes from incomplete combustion. That majority of the emissions are CO2 and the catalytic converter converts about 80% of the CO that is present to CO2.

Are you drinking plenty of water and staying well hydrated before the dive?

best advice i heard...i did 4 dives this past saturday and my buddy/instructor came out of the water after the third dive with a headache like you describe it.

a powerade and a few cups of water later he was all set

drink water the night before the dive, that morning and before/after a dive...you should be peeing clear

Probably dehydration. People just either don't understand or neglect to understand how dehydrating diving is, especially in salt water.

If it were CO2 retention then the headache would have been very sharp but not lingering.

I agree here. The only time I get headaches is when I didn't sleep enough the night before or haven't eaten/drank enough during the day. Take some water and Gatorade. It should help.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

#1- I have had some jaw problems but after replacing my mouthpiece that has gone away.

#2- The tanks always get filled from the same place. I will look into buying a C02 gauge.
Unlikely, but who am i to say don't

#3- I will try and drink more water before my diving. Maybe its not enough?
If you don't pee in your suit or come out with an urgent need you are probably running dry.

#4- Feels like I breath OK but will try and breath even deeper and exhale more.
Exhale is the key. The rest will happen.

Do you wear glasses? Going uncorrected for a spell can take a toll.

Pete

Relaxation is a hard skill when you're new to diving. I know ... it's easy to say, "just relax!" ... but you're in a really foreign, almost alien environment when you're just starting.

When you're at home, crashed on the couch, close your eyes and picture yourself diving ... feel your breathing while you "dive", easy, full breaths in, long, relaxed exhale. When you dive again, remember that feeling you had on the couch. I'm betting it will help.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom