Headaches and Headspins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Today I went for a dive in average conditions.21 degrees, 12m Viz
fairly strong current for first half of dive to 15m max depth for 51 minutes. When I got out I was had a bit of a headache but about 5 minutes later I got really bad headspins and had to sit down for about 5 mins. I was within my NDL and have been to depths greater than this and longer than this dive. I did a bit of a safety deco stop at 7m just looking around thorugh some rocks for aobut 10 minutes. And my ascent was fine. So I can't see anything that would've caused this? I also have had very mild headaches on previous dives and a also very mild headspin on my last dive.

Any ideas are appreciated thanks...

Cheers, Jordan

Did you hydrate and make sure you were well fed (blood-sugar levels adequate) prior to the dive? If I don't do both, I get headaches, and although I have never gotten dizzy after diving, I have after exercising without eating enough.

-Dave

What kind of shape are you in? In sounds like a physiological thing, I also agree with Dave, make sure you're properly hydrated and your blood sugar levels are high enough. In short, I just think you were tired and dehydrated.

probably didnt drink enough, but i definitely ate enough. Not overweight and pretty fit. could it be to not breathing enough/deeply enough?

My vote is hydration. I tend to get the same way. Although you might have s sinus problem.

My vote is for CO2 retention, make a conscious effort to take long deep breaths and STOP SKIP BREATHING<G>.

OzeDiver:
probably didnt drink enough, but i definitely ate enough. Not overweight and pretty fit. could it be to not breathing enough/deeply enough?

Maybe not breathing out enough. I used to get a headache now and then until I learned how to breathe properly. Remember to exhale slowly and fully. Darn dead air spaces.

waterbearer:
Maybe not breathing out enough. I used to get a headache now and then until I learned how to breathe properly. Remember to exhale slowly and fully. Darn dead air spaces.

As did I, the headaches were largely eliminated upon better breathing from me.

Back
Top Bottom