Heading to the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Had a free flight on Air Tran so I looked for a dive destination I would probably not go to except for that. Chose the Bahamas as my destination and will take a cruise aboard Blackbeard's (Jan 26-Feb 1 out of Nassau) and a day or two of diving with Stuart Cove. Looking forward to filming sharks and lionfish control efforts... plus anything else that wanders in front of my camera!

I look forward to seeing those efforts, and reading about your trip. I looked into the Bahamas myself a bit, looking for somewhere I could reasonably spend a few weeks with a non-diving wife and a sullen teenage daughter, but I couldn't get it to work. Despite visiting Florida several times I haven't dived in the Americas or the Caribbean - yet. Still hoping I can set something up next year though, maybe a twin centre trip with Miami or the Keys.

As my aforementioned teenager would say, I am well jealous about your trip ;-)

Congrats, Dr. Bill !! I'm confident you will enjoy. I'm heading back this summer either to UNEXSO and/or Riding Rock on San Salvador. I need to get some hammerheads into my portfolio :)

Hi! I'm curious to know how you liked the diving at Stuarts Cove? I've booked the same trip on BlackBeard starting March 9, and had a few days in Nassau beforehand. Are the 2-4 tank rates worth it, or should I save my money and just snorkel around there?

Thanks! Hope you had a great trip!

drbill,
I'm looking forward to reading a trip report. I am booked for April 13 - 19. I'm curious about bottom times, depths, food and anything you found special.

Would love to hear what the diving was like at Stuart Cove. We are also considering a Blackbeards with a few days beforehand on Nassau.

I will arrive there on Saturday the 16th..My dive will be somewhere between the 18th & 21st, so I will be sure to post something as soon as possible. I have the camera & video ready to roll :)

Well All that I can say is wow !!! What an awesome experience diving with Stuart Coves on their shark adventure. Once I arrived on the island, I notified them that I was there, and we scheduled a date. They had their bus pick me up ( Which it does do for everyone at no additional charge) after hitting a few more hotels, we were on our way to the other end of the island. I got off of the bus, and procedded to the office to check in, after showing my "C" card I was directed to the equipment room where I was issued my rental gear, at a mere cost of $35.00 since I had my own mask, computer & snorkel.

The equipment was all in very good condition, Aqualung Reg & BC, 3-5 mm wet suit,fins , weights. this took all of 5 miniutes or less. they several boats that are 40+ ft in length. There were about 10-12 divers on the boat not counting the all girl crew who I might add were very knowledgable , professional & freindly. we were first given a brief by the photographer, and then the boat captain prior to departing to the dive site, which was only about 10 minutes off shore.

After arriving on site # 1 ( Reef Dive) we given a dive brief by the DM and off we went. The reef was along a wall in 40' which dropped off to what we were told was 6000' before i stepped off the boat I could see sharks swimming around. The water temp was 73 degrees, with amazing vizability. after a 45 min BT, we surfaced for our break prior to the Shark feeding dive. The captain re adjusted the boat over what they caall the arena. During our SI we were then briefed once again by the DM who was going to be feeding the sharks and then again by the photographer. (lots of do's and dont's). Once we entered the water we were assigned a rock on the bottom in which if needed you could squeeze with your knees for those who may have needed some help staying on the bottom, as well as a block to keep the sharks from swimming thru your legs. once everyone was set, the feeder came down with the fish container ,and the sharks were already gathering around , more by the minute. at one point I counted 50 because they were moving so much, I probably counted some twice and others not at all. the best way that I can describe this event, was black friday at Walmart where everyone is a shark going after that 1 item like nothing else matters.

I will let the pictures speak for them self... but I will add that for the $155.00 cost, I would do it again tomorrow... 549198_599463596734819_719302063_n.jpg32182_599463573401488_1158361841_n.jpg382237_599464026734776_2094236429_n.jpg482590_599463903401455_712291908_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom