Heads up for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here. Full week in Cancun with some cenote diving. Stayed on isla Mujeres and used US dollars everywhere. Always got change in pesos. Exchange rate was posted in most every shop.

Same here. Full week in Cancun with some cenote diving. Stayed on isla Mujeres and used US dollars everywhere. Always got change in pesos. Exchange rate was posted in most every shop.
What were the rates? WSJ is giving 11.6117 to 1, but they can't match that as they get dinged by the one Bank of Mexico. 10.45 to 1 would be nice but they usually just use 10.

Another link on this from a more official news agency!

No More Paying With Dollars at Mexican Resort Areas - AOL Travel News

This is an old link, there was a lot of fuss about this late last year, then it all changed and that was prior to my trip at the end of November. I have booked directly with the hotel for September and the most I can pay is US$ is $1500. The ruling doesn't really effect tourists but does effect businesses like tour operators paying into their bank accounts.

I am travelling to Mexico so will take mostly pesos, but I will take some dollars as a backup.

the presidente' hotel was giving 11.36 i believe it was to exchange money.

Interesting........I always stay at Residencias Reef Condos and for years did my money exchange at the Wyndum next door. Last Sept. they no longer were doing money exchange at the front desk. The manager said that all the hotels were no longer able to offer the service and I would need to either use the ATMs to WD funds or go the the money exchange booths that are placed (several locations) in town. They never have good exchange rates. I ended up using one of them once and then had my dive shop do an exchange for me of about $600 and that handled me the rest of the trip. Either they have changed this protocol/law or the manager at Wyndam last Sept didnt know what he was talking about but THEY were not doing money exchange anylonger.

Back
Top Bottom