hearing loss and Tinnitus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cregis

Reaction score
I went diving two weekends ago and noticed afterwards that I loss my hearing in my left ear. Moreover, I have severe non-stop tinnitus. I went to the dr. the next day and he prescribed decongestants and Pseudoephedrine. After two days I went back to see the dr. (due complaining about pressure) and he conduct a hearing test and b/c of the results he perforated the eardrum and removed some fluid. He said I had fluid and profound hearing loss he proscribed steroids. This was more than a week ago and I have not had any positive change in regarding to my hearing or the ringing.

Could have my dr. diagnosed my diving injury wrong? Could I have damaged/blown my round and/or oval window (s)? Would this mean permanent hearing loss? If not, on average (range of time) how long is the recovery time ?

Thank you in advance!

get to an ENT or university clinic specializing in hearing loss ASAP

I'm dealing with a hearing loss caused by noise exposure - on the firing range - I thought it was an ear infection when my right ear didn't come back to normal by the next day ... I took me way to long to find out that it was a hearing loss

from that i have learned on the net, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE

I am currently getting steroid injections through the eardrum from my ent

lots of good info on hearing loss here - http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/

don't fool around with this!

best of luck and let us know what happens!

Thank you for your response. The thing that frustates me is the Dr. I went to WAS an ENT! I went back to see him this mornig before work and he thought it was Meniere's disease. But then I asked him about the possibly of PLF and then he changed his mind and is refering me to an ear neurologist.

From what I can learn from DAN and other websites, this sounds like a round window rupture due to middle ear barotrauma (tinnitus, hearing loss, fluid behind the drum). Some experts recommend surgical closure of the window if severe hearing loss is present... sooner than later. Like, right away. That seems controversial, in that some advocate drainage and steroids, as you have done.

My suggestion is to call DAN soon and get a referral to an ear SURGEON who knows barotrauma, particularly dive trauma. An ear neurologist will, IMHO, be useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom