Hearing Music at 90 fsw. Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last month we were doing dives at Netrani (15-20 m depth) and on each dive i was hearing this haunting sound "wooaaaanawoa" at very high pitch, which would last for about 15 secs and stop. I was trying to locate the sound but could not and on four dives the same thing happened to me. I asked my buddy and he also heard the same sound . There are migratory whales around these parts and I though maybe it was one of them. When I asked few very senior divers about it they said its my tank o-ring leaking and at certain positions the leak increases and makes this noise. Pretty weird.

boulderjohn:
Not quite.

Hearing John Denver, you WISH you were dead.

Ohh come on now!

Give me little bit, I know you know it:

Sunshine, on my shoulder, makes me happy.
Sunshine, in my eyes, can make me cry.
Sunshine, on the water, looks so lovely!
Sunshine, almost always, makes me high.

Or do you prefer:

Rocky mountain high! Colorado.

He climbed cathedral mountains, he saw silver clouds below,
saw everything as far as you can see.
And they say that he got crazy once and that he
tried to touch the sun,
and he lost a friend, but kept the memory.
Now he walks in quiet solitude, the forest and the stream,
seeking grace in every step he takes,
his sight is turned inside himself, to try and
understand, the serenity of a clear blue mountain lake.

I've had two episodes that are pretty clearly narcosis with hallucinations. They've occurred at the same place, at about 105 feet. The hallucination is that I've lost buoyancy control and am about to do a ballistic missile imitation to the surface. Given that you would have to make a MAJOR miscalculation in inflation to get too positive at 105 feet, it's very unlikely it was real in either case. But it was very real to me at the time, and very unpleasant. I'd take classical music any day.

i often use a walkman on dives (usually solo), but i guess it wasnt me - classical music would have to come from somebody else.

I'm not aware of being narced yet....during my advanced deep dive, I had trouble getting my plate back onto my BC once we realized we lost my buddy and visibility was about 5 feet...but I think that was just overtasking.... I've hit the inflater valve instead of the dump valve a few times, but catch it before I start to rise, and it's usually at like 20'... hmm.. I would love to hear some migratory whales while diving though...I think that would be cool. I need to try the humming trick, but not The Wall, for night or low-visibility dive, I think the Division Bell is more appropriate.

I was down on a deep dive and started to get pretty freaked when I heard classical music playing. I was relieved when I saw the orchestra playing on the bottom.

IwakuniDiver:
Hearing Mozart, you're probably not narc'd.

Hearing Pink Floyd the wall, you're narc'd.

Hearing John Denver, you're dead.

Are you telling me.......I'm narc'd all the times???
I'm narc'd @ 10ft, 20ft, 30ft.........

fire_diver:
Ohh come on now!
Or do you prefer:

I was in graduate school at the University of Colorado in the mid 1970's. The school's unofficial newspaper ran a contest in which entrants had to describe when it was that they first realized they hated John Denver.

I didn't actually enter, but if I had, I would have submitted this:

I was driving, and Rocky Mountain High came on the radio. I immediately jammed my finger onto a button to change to a different channel. I listened in relief for about 30 seconds before I realized I was listening to the Carpenters.

i was narc'd ot about 35m 120ft every thing was just surreal like the divers in front were superimposed on the back ground
i didn't have a problem with the elephant but the T-Rex chasing him kinda freaked me out a bit LOL

IwakuniDiver:
Hearing Mozart, you're probably not narc'd.

Hearing Pink Floyd the wall, you're narc'd.

Hearing John Denver, you're dead.

I need to get me an underwater MP3 Player.

I have this erge to lay on the botton on a night dive, Crank Dark Side and watch the bio luminesence. Beats any laser show and I would hope the bugs get in sync!

Pink Floyd Rocks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom