HECO polluting Electric Beach - Need YOUR help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:no During recent scuba dives at Kahe Point Beach Park (also known as Electric Beach), we discovered 30-40 tube cleaners that are apparently being dumped into the ocean by HECO in the cooling water outfall.
hbrush.jpg

Traced the part to a Conco "H-Brush" [see attached photo]
http://www.concosystems.com/tubecleaners.php?tcleaners=LightDepositTubeCleaners

Have filed case with Hawaii Public Utilities Commision, case # IC-2007-107, and with the Dept. of Heath, Enviromental Hazards, both currently under investigation.

HECO has sent their "divers" out and stated they have picked up another 175 tube cleaners and this was a "one-time" isolated incident.

Need assistance from anyone who dives near other Powerplants in Hawaii to see if they are polluting elsewhere in the Islands.

If you locate any of these brushes please contact myself or Dean Matsura, Hawaii PUC
case # IC-2007-107, at (808) 586-3755 or Al Allen at the Dept. of Health at (808) 586-4226

These have been out there for the last two years at least (that is when I started diving on the island). I figured they were cleaning brushes, but it definitly wasn't a one time thing. They have been doing this for a long time.

:shakehead....

( where are there other E-plant exits?)

On another note. I haven't ever seen "New ones". I have only seen old ones, like the one you showed a pic of. Based on my previous observations of them, it might have been a one time thing. The ones I always see are old, encrusted and rusted up. I try to take some out each time I dive there.

Not sure if the "encrusting" is from sitting on the ocean floor or from the cleaning process, the PUC and DOH are still investigating, they said it might take a week or two for the results..

If you find any, or have any, contact Dean Matsura, Hawaii PUC case # IC-2007-107, at (808) 586-3755 or Al Allen at the Dept. of Health at (808) 586-4226

Mahalo, Earth Day is everyday

Our dive club does clean-up dives there once a year. We always haul hundreds of these up from the front of the pipe. They always look old, though.

We have another event in June. Shall I save them and turn them into someone?

Yes, I will be happy to take them, and assist on your cleanup dive.

justleesa:
:shakehead....

( where are there other E-plant exits?)

The other plants where they use these, and have potentially polluted are:

1) Oahu: Pearl Harbor, Waianae (Kahe), Ala Moana (Aloha Tower)
2) Maui: Kahului
3) Hawaii: Hilo (Shipman)

??? are the brushes the "pollutants" you are concerned over or the material they scrub out of the pipes? Seems like a temporary catchment system would be simple to put into place for them for when they do clean their pipes if it's just the brushes that are at issue here...

I have dove Kahe Pt for 5 yrs now and the amount of brushes has reduced over the last 2 yrs, but they have been present as long as I have dove the pipes.

Many of them are buried in the sand. Also it doesn't take too long for those things to "look old" after a short spell in the water.
Count me in on the next clean up.....just post a reminder please!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom