Heli at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just hit up the heli for the first time this season at Dutch springs. Sad to see the whole front end gone, might be time for Dutch to invest in some new attractions....

Yeah, I noticed that last weekend... swam past it and noticed the front end had fallen off. It's a real shame... that was one of the cooler parts of Dutch!

What's next that we can submerge?

Just noticed the same thing this weekend. It has no skin and is completely see through.

I'd like to see an airbus get suspended :)

Reactions: RJP
Sad to see but Divers are the cause of it. Dutch Springs staff purposely removed it because it was becoming unsafe (outer panels off and lots of jagged edges). As divers at Dutch we should just look and check out attractions that we are fortunate to have. However, this is not the case, and divers are draped all over the attractions and are ripping, tearing and trying to take them apart. So, don't blame Dutch for the deteriorating attractions and I wouldn't be surprise if they don't add attractions because some divers don't appreciate what we have there. As usual with life, a couple of bad seeds ruin it for all.

Sad to see but Divers are the cause of it. Dutch Springs staff purposely removed it because it was becoming unsafe (outer panels off and lots of jagged edges). As divers at Dutch we should just look and check out attractions that we are fortunate to have. However, this is not the case, and divers are draped all over the attractions and are ripping, tearing and trying to take them apart. So, don't blame Dutch for the deteriorating attractions and I wouldn't be surprise if they don't add attractions because some divers don't appreciate what we have there. As usual with life, a couple of bad seeds ruin it for all.

I had no idea you could actually rip off the metal that surrounded the chopper. Why is it then that so much of the other structures still exist; boats are intact, and planes as well. Perhaps the construction was lighter, less robust.

Maybe less robust (did fly at one time), but I've personally witnessed everything I mentioned and the divers have used everything from knives, small crow bars to hammers to do it!

I dunno but would be cool to have a wreck bigger then the silver comet in the deep end of the quarry.

Maybe less robust (did fly at one time), but I've personally witnessed everything I mentioned and the divers have used everything from knives, small crow bars to hammers to do it!
Hard to believe that people would attempt to wreck it!

And yes, helicopter skins are generally pretty thin and don't offer much structural support. These things do need to be light after all.

However, I'm glad to know that Dutch staff finished it off and it didn't just collapse.

F&$#$'ing wreck divers!

I am real close to the staff at Dutch Springs and I can tell you that they have a line on another helicopter and are working on getting it. They are not sure how long it will take or how much it will cost to clean up and transport to Dutch Springs. They also have made inquiries for several years about getting another helicopter but with no success. Things to sink that meet their requirements are not easy to find or get here. They first need to be environmentally safe to sink and then they have to evaluate the ability to be made safe for the divers. Next there is size. They have to be able to transport across the roads to get there. Then there is the cost to get there. They are constantly looking for leads about things to sink so if anyone has something that is viable you can let them know. This is not a garbage dump so they do not want things that people what to get rid of in their back yards and they would like to have metal rather than wood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom