Hellcat? Hell, yeah! (an adventure to the F6F Hellcat off Kihei, Maui)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We found it! Along with David (DabldoMaui) and Dan, we successfully navigated a couple hundred yards of extra shallow 0' viz water to find the gorgeous coral and SURPRISE the Kihei Hellcat!

What: Grumman F6F Hellcat circa 1943-1954

Position: N 20.74623, W 156.46385 (main wreck)

Depth: 32' (main wreck), 35' (engine)

Based on the GPS location and Google Earth, it is 650m (712 yds) from the shoreline, so it's a reasonable kick out there. The visibility and terrain becomes appealing at about the 250m mark.

Directions without GPS: head straight off Lipoa Street keeping the center of the yellow gate lined up with the first street light, drop down when water gets to about 15-20' deep, stay on same heading. You should find it relatively quickly -- on your left hand side (it's not EXACTLY off the end of Lipoa by the looks of things... you have to rely on a slight current pushing you south as well. To go from the main wreckage to the engine, follow the direction the plane is pointing (south-ish) and swim ~60'. You'll find half of a wing and the engine there.

While the attraction here was the wreck, there is also some very healthy coral extending from 10' deep (bottom depth beside bottom relief) out to 20-25'. The viz today wasn't incredible, but I could envision taking a great deal more time to check out the coral on future dives here.

In the interest of getting this post up sooner rather than later, I have NOT edited these photos. Look to have replacements at some point once that time presents itself. :)

underside of cockpit area:
3155297456_11934c5127.jpg

wider angle on main wreck:
3155284466_303cfab665.jpg

front view of engine:
3155265888_403e3c92a7.jpg

view from where the engine would have been, back (main wreckage):
3155253434_e966f1201f.jpg

landing gear:
3154414031_cc13f5b4b9.jpg

left wing:
3155246280_12ab068d77.jpg

one example of the awesome coral growth on the way to/from the wreck:
3155329604_630ef0509e.jpg

another example of the coral:
3154501261_1b590ab62e.jpg

Full series available on flickr.

Now... if anyone wants to go there, I'd love to go back! Give me a call! :D

Hey Kris - sounds like a good scooter dive (hint, hint :wink: )

Thanks for sharing the photos - I've heard about this site a couple of times, and would love to document the entry and directions for my website.

Aloha, Tim

Hey Kris - sounds like a good scooter dive (hint, hint :wink: )

Thanks for sharing the photos - I've heard about this site a couple of times, and would love to document the entry and directions for my website.

Aloha, Tim
You are right, Tim... it is a good scooter dive. Actually it's a great scooter surface-tow... once you get out to the deeper part, it's time to explore the coral! Then power up the scooters for a run across the bit of sand.

If you're offering... I'd like to go explore and see if we can't find the tail... :D

Kris,

I would be up to going to see this whenever looks like a great dive!

Matt

Kris, that sounds like a great dive, and something we'll have to give a try when we're next there. I'd specifically like to thank you for sharing the coordinates.

Is this a new one, or the one that has been documented already on many of the Maui websites? Either way, nice pictures.

Tim, You are still on Maui? When do you move to Oahu? Lynne and I are coming over the first week of Feb and have 2 days of diving set with North Shore Explorers. I'm really looking forward to those!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom