Hello! & Advise please regarding diving in Mexico!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sunny............I'm afraid I know nothing about Dressel Divers, and little about Playa del Carmen. Playa has exploded with tourism the last 10 years - the parts I saw en route to Cozumel were pure commercial down-scale tourism. There are luxurious destination resorts nearby. I'd recommend Cozumel, if you can find good instruction. There is tourism, but it's easy to escape, and the waters are pristine. I dove with Blue Bubble, almost by accident. If there is a way for you to email me, I'll respond with a good contact name and number. I stayed at a fine, $50/night hotel called the Flamingo. Do it, but soon, because late summer is hurricane time. I'm going to return just as soon as I find a reasonable flight.

I've heard the name (Dressel) but don't have any personal experience with them. As long as they are a 5-Star IDC or CDC -- do check -- you'll be fine and in a good spot.

Thanks a lot for your advices guys! I feel much more relaxed and less worried, almost everything is new to me, so it's great for me to have some valuable suggestions from people who knows diving, the diving instructor courses and Mexico (playa del carmen).

Dressel offers internship for PADI instructor development courses, so after my training I should be a qualified PADI instructor! :D

Hello. I'm going to Playa in a couple of weeks and the wife has ordered me to make this a diving vacation :D. I've searched and found a couple of shops, but nothing with many reviews (a few here on scubaboard, but not easy to navigate and evaluate. So...

Looking for any recommendations. I've checked out Playa Scuba, Scuba Playa, and Sealife. I'm looking for a well priced package that includes a day (i.e. 2 dives) in a cenote (my instructor-guru is a caver and has threatened to pull all c-cards if I don't dive a cenote -- I think he's marketing :wink: to me). I am also interested in using Nitrox if Oxygen isn't god-awful expensive.

Also, if I can combine that with deal to take the wife on a whale shark snorkeling tour that would make it sweeter.

Hi again! I just heard from a friend of a friend that Dressel Divers in Mexico is very bad, in terms of treating the staff, who does the diving instructor course I wanted to do, does anyone have info regarding this or know anyone who did it or can give me some advice where to find more info regarding this? thanks so much!!

HI Sunny!

I am in the same boat. I have been searching for info about Dressels and the training program. I am seriously contemplating joining the Jan 2011 training program (won't have my owc long enough to join in September :depressed:)

When are you going to do the training with them or are you still indecisive? I talked to one person that went there and am in the midst of talking to another that currently works there. The guy that did work there had this to say:

"I did work for dressel divers for almost 3 years and did my IDC with them. I have no reason to complain about them i really enjoyed my time there and i think they're quality and safety standards are quite good. There are no perfect companies and in dressel they really like you if you're a hard worker and a motivated salesman. Yes they're very focused on the sales but they also try to offer a good service to the costumers. The program lasts for almost 3 months and it's not guaranteed that you finish it. From my IDC we were 12 in the beginning and only 5 of us ended it... It's hard work during that time... you got be passioned for the job... but if you're passioned by the job, if you love diving and you have good communication skills... go for it! I have no regrets! Dressel is company which i would go back without thinking twice, they pay on time and are very serious about that. They're demanding, that's true... but they're also fair. :)
hope i helped..."

It seems the complaints I have read so far are in regards to after the training when you actually become employed with them; apparently they want people who can sell but what company doesn't.

I think it sounds like a good program and definitely worth giving it a try so to perhaps find a path in life that is absolutely enjoyable; hard work but enjoyable :wink:

Keep in touch and let me know what you plan to do and when; would love to have additional eyes and ears in regards to the Dressel IDC.

Have a good one!

Dressel Divers has the contract with the Iberostar Resorts. As far as I know they are the on property shop for all of them. I dived with them years ago and they were a good operation. One way they do keep their costs low is by running the intern programs. I cannot speak directly about their IDC program, but their dive operation was well run and the DM's and instructors (interns) seemed to know what they were doing.

Hello Melanne and Parzdiver!! Thanks for your comments.

I was introduced to Dressel by a person who worked for them for 5 yrs, he said the same, it's not going to be a holiday, it's hard work and you have to take it for it. However talking with a couple of people who did it, I had different feedbacks (as of course everyone is different), they told me the internship is hard, they try to break you down since the start and they really push you to sell as much as you can, after the internship, being an instructor is enjoyable and the training is really high standard. This is what they told me. My worries is not the hard work, I will go there and give 100%, it's only the sales part.. I don't know what they expect, especially because I am not a sales person and if I finish the course and I don't like their way of working, I will have a big debt with them.. It's a risk, but I was hoping to find better reviews by people who did the internship, one girl told me she was crying every day!

Anyway, will carry on searching, I will start the internship on 6th September, i have already the ticket, so I will go, have to see with my eyes, hopefully will handle it and will learn how to sell well! Melanne, if you have any more news please let me know, I will do the same, just maybe consider the fact that people who work for Dressel will have a not really objective point of view.
Godd luck to both of us!! :wink:

I was curious, has anyone run into those "killer squids" off the pacific coast in Mexico? Those things look scary! Their suckers have like little teeth in them

Hi Sunny - I have been to Playa del Carmen 5 times and dived 3 of the trips (was certified here in the U.S. after my 2nd trip down). I love Playa and each trip I went, I learned a few things including - stay in the North section of town (a little quieter) and the reefs aren't nearly as good as Cozumel - don't even hold a candle to the reefs in Coz. I finally had the opportunity to hop the ferry over to Cozumel and dive in March. Let's just say that this next trip in July is being spent entirely on Cozumel. If you want diving, Coz is it, not Playa. Playa has beautiful beaches, beautiful people, great boutique hotels, awesome restaurants, and a short hop to Akumal, Tulum and other must visit spots on the coast. It can be a crazy, party town or a nice quiet vacation depending on what your desire is. However, if your interest is in diving, I'd suggest Coz.

Just my opinion.

Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom